Blackmagic Scanner

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

Thought I'd move this thread to telecine since it wasn't getting much interest in the Blackmagic section.

Has anyone seen one of these yet?

I'm a little disappointed in the specs on the scanner; seems there's no optical/lens zoom on the scanner so the resolution is fixed. So Super 16 scans aren't even true 1080p. Yikes!

Maybe they're going back to the drawing board on this one. Seems like the market would demand true 2k scans at the very least on 16mm, if not 4k.

From the Blackmagic Site:

blackmagic-scanner-specs.gif

• Premium Member

I have a lot of notes about using it on the Blackmagic thread. I've got quite a bit of time on the machine.

I read them, thanks. Those were from November 2014, I was hoping someone is using a released version and they had addressed some of the issues you brought up back then. I thought it was out in the wild and I haven't heard a peep about it.

• Premium Member

I used it in 2015 as well, the machine hasn't changed one iota. In fact, their scanner "expert" didn't know much about it. I wound up sitting in the chair for the whole day showing people how to use it.

It's not in the wild quite yet. I'm waiting for an e-mail back verifying what the deal is.