No Subtitles Necessary: Laszlo & Vilmos

• Premium Member

Ironically, my mom bought me this for Christmas. I'd seen it before but, due to Vilmos Zsigmond's recent passing, I thought it was time to re-watch it. It is one of those documentaries that all film-makers should see. Their respective artistry lay in the simplicity of their approach. But the documentary - and Vilmos himself - state that they were both in the right place at the right time. And that's really true if you look at the pool of talent you had back in the 60s & 70s. Granted, this was during the fall of the studio system and the beginnings of an independent film movement. But you had directors, actors & cinematographers willing to take all sorts of risks to create an entirely new grammar.

Anyway, check it out if you haven't already seen it. It's about the time period just as much as it is Laszlo & Vilmos. Great stuff.

I had to look it up. Wasn't sure if they meant Laszlo Kovacs or Andrew Laszlo.

For the record, it's Laszlo Kovacs. It should have been obvious, since they were so close.

Looks like an interesting documentary.

Edited by Zac Fettig

I may re-watch it soon, to remember Vilmos... and Laszlo.

Was very sad when i read the news about his departure.

Weird sadness came over me when i was watching "No Subtitles...".
As i started to see the lifelong friendship between Laszlo and Vilmos,
then the birthday (i think) telephone call from Vilmos to Kovacs, and the

fact that at the time of watching the later was already gone...

On the lighter side, through a post of THE ASC, on facebook i think,
there was an article about Vilmos being guest on Anthony Bourdain's: Parts Unknown - Budapest.

I watched later the episode and Anthony said ~ "He created a whole new palette, took crazy risks, changed film language in ways people still try to imitate. And he's making our camera crew very nervous, I can tell you."

:)

4.-vilmos-and-parts-unknown-crew.jpeg

Best

Igor