Oscar nominations 2016

• Premium Member

Damn Tye, you're being so insulting here. So, I switch off my brain when I watch Fury Road and love it? Trust me, my brain is fully on, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

91 wins and 135 nominations: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/awards?ref_=tt_awd

Best reviewed film of the year on Rotten with an insane average rating. Really? Sure, you can not like the film, but really, all the critics who loved the film, all the awards it got, the Critics Choice sweep, all of us who love the film are basically retards, that's it?!

Goddam, this blows my mind, I just cannot condone this.

Manu,

In fairness, I understand what Tyler is saying about "switching off one's brain." Sometimes that's a good thing and, actually, everyone needs to go watch a popcorn movie every now and then in order to mentally decompress. As much I prefer to sit down and watch a Kubrick, Tarvkovsky or Bergman film, if I'm dealing with some real-life, personally stressful situation, the last thing I'm going throw in my DVD player is The Virgin Spring.

Plus, sometimes it's fun to just sit back and enjoy the ride rather than analyze every single thing in the frame. I just didn't enjoy this particular ride. It's back to what I said in the "Hateful Eight Experience" thread: everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and that is ultimately what the critics you cited are giving. It just comes down to a matter of different tastes and if we all preferred the same films, this board would be pretty boring.

I stopped watching the Academy Awards since last year, I think Americans tend to over-exaggerate the importance of people who make films, and it bothers me how a future cinematic classic like 'The Master' wasn't recognized, when they parade a movie like 'The Revenant' or 'Mad Max' with multiple nominations. No one remembers Best Picture winner 'Crash', or 'The Hurt Locker'. These aren't serious awards, they've become just another gaudy award show manipulated by politics. I guarantee no one will remember 'The Revenant' in the coming years, it was bland storytelling saved by its flashy cinematography. Awards do not make films better, nor does it mean that the Best Picture was the best film of the year. Bullshit awards.

I think Americans tend to over-exaggerate the importance of people who make films,

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? How is that even possible? :D

R,

Well there's only one guaranteed way to deal with this Justin, separate categories for black actors, and a separate category for best female director. Then everyone will be happy.

R,

Well there's only one guaranteed way to deal with this Justin, separate categories for black actors, and a separate category for best female director. Then everyone will be happy.

R,

So what you're saying is that we need separate but equal awards for black filmmakers? That's a good idea, and we could hold them in buildings right next to each other.

We'll have to make sure to put up this sign though:

6PEsEyO.jpg

No not that way John, they are separate categories at the same show. There are already awards for best ACTOR and best ACTRESS, that are based on gender. Why not do the same for female directors, and why not hand out an award for best black actor and best white actor?

R,

No not that way John, they are separate categories at the same show. There are already awards for best ACTOR and best ACTRESS, that are based on gender. Why not do the same for female directors, and why not hand out an award for best black actor and best white actor?

R,

Because those award distinctions weren't established back when slavery still existed in rural parts of the south or anything.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?

Actually, you're not even correct with your statement, the Oscars were started in 1929, well before the end of segregation laws in the US South. Again, even though you are incorrect, I have no idea what the relevance is?

Do you have any idea how many universities in America have scholarships for blacks only? So why not have a best actor/actress Oscar for blacks only as well?

R,

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?

Actually, you're not even correct with your statement, the Oscars were started in 1929, well before the end of segregation laws in the US South. Again, even though you are incorrect, I have no idea what the relevance is?

Do you have any idea how many universities in America have scholarships for blacks only? So why not have a best actor/actress Oscar for blacks only as well?

R,

I'm guessing you didn't grasp the sarcasm. The Oscars were started in a time of very scarce political correctness, the actor/actress separation that exists today is purely out of tradition, not necessity. As in, using "separate gender awards" doesn't work as an argument in this scenario.

R,

There's a line in this forum's Guidelines: Avoid sarcasm. It is nearly impossible to recognize sarcasm in print, and often it is interpreted as rudeness.

Please change the topic or discuss it clearly without sarcasm.

Yeah but Tim my comments are not sarcasm, I'm serious, my proposal is a way to rectify the situation. Unless you are quoting me by accident and you meant to quote Macks?

I suppose, "then everyone will be happy" could be interpreted as sarcasm, since.....everyone clearly won't be.

R,

• Premium Member

Damn Tye, you're being so insulting here. So, I switch off my brain when I watch Fury Road and love it? Trust me, my brain is fully on, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Sa'll good Manu! I know you're VERY passionate about Fury Road and don't mean to be insulting. I don't know a single person outside of yourself, who would put Fury Road even close to Oscar contention, let alone nomination. It's a saturday afternoon popcorn film, nothing more, nothing less. How it got the nomination is exactly what's broken in this industry. People are blown away by spectacle and they vote/review based on emotion, rather then logic.

Best reviewed film of the year on Rotten with an insane average rating. Really? Sure, you can not like the film, but really, all the critics who loved the film, all the awards it got, the Critics Choice sweep, all of us who love the film are basically retards, that's it?!

Here is the reality of your comment. Fury Road has an 8.2 on IMDB right now and an 89/100 metascore. Well, 'Gone With The Wind' has an 8.1! 'The Big Lebowski' has an 8.1 and 69/100! 'Fargo' has an 8.1 and 85/100! 'No Country for Old Men' has an 8.1 and 91/100! 'There Will Be Blood' has an 8.1 and 92/100! 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' has an 8.1 and 58/100! Those films are all right near each other on the IMDB top 250 scale, amongst many other top award-winning films from the history of cinema, with others like Buster Keaton's 'The General' arguably one of top 10 films EVER MADE!

So yes, in a lot of ways I believe people are simply BLOWN OVER by shiny things, violence and grotesque humor. Plus, Fury Road is a heart pumping movie from start to finish, which also makes some people super excited. This is how amusement parks stay in business. People want that rush and Fury Road delivers the perfect ride for those people.

There's a line in this forum's Guidelines: Avoid sarcasm. It is nearly impossible to recognize sarcasm in print, and often it is interpreted as rudeness.

Please change the topic or discuss it clearly without sarcasm.

It wasn't sarcasm, it was irony. Richard is British, we invented it. Other Anglophones don't always recognise it.

I'm guessing you didn't grasp the sarcasm. The Oscars were started in a time of very scarce political correctness, the actor/actress separation that exists today is purely out of tradition, not necessity. As in, using "separate gender awards" doesn't work as an argument in this scenario.

Actually, there was a Political Correctness in operation in the 1929 era... it was one of 'separation/segregation'... anyone who spoke out against that situation was ostracized...

The Hays Code of the 1930s, which became a force to be reckoned with, codified certain types of films, ways of discussion certain subjects, and even excluding certain subjects from the discussion altogether.

Being African American has got nothing to do with cinema. Greatness is found out no matter what color, creed or sexual gender. Sidney Poitier defined what it meant to be an African American who rose above the hatred, but now it seems Afro American filmmakers have gotten carried away, telling the same story over and over. How many slave in bondage movies must we see? Or ghetto thug with a heart films? Racism affects everyone, not just African Americans. There are countries in the Middle East who want to wipe out Jews from the phase of the earth. Mexicans who are subjected to low wage incomes and face deportation and hatred by politicians like Donald Trump. It's time Afro American filmmakers departed with their tiresome agenda. We've seen the same film a thousand times, and most of them make such films to inspire sympathy and win awards. Sidney Poitier embodied the oppressive nature of racism, and rising above it without using violence as in the film 'No Way Out'. Those were great films, and politically correct. Nowadays, we are witnessing many propaganda films, which are instigating hatred between races- slavery has been abolished and it is a thing of the past. Instead of going forward many African American filmmakers go backwards and linger on past hatreds. In retrospect, I can see why something like 'The hateful eight' was ousted from awards, because the subject is tiresome- even though it's fantastically structured film, it's time to move on to more socially relevant things.

Meanwhile up here in Canada, a country everyone cares aboot. We have an on-going controversy with our Oscars, called the Canadian Screen Awards, CSAs. Admit it....you all dream of having one.

Of course in Canada the war is never black vs white like it is in America, the war here is always French vs English. This year the nominees for best director are three Quebec filmmakers who have made films no one outside of Quebec has ever heard of, an Irish director who made a film Canada is claiming as "Canadian" even though Canadians had nothing to do with it, and then a guy I know Andrew Sividino, who made a coming of age film with $60, 000.00. Andrew is the only actual "Canadian" in the mix who made an actual "Canadian" movie. The Irish guy made a film called, Room, anyone heard of it? I'll bet you have.

Every year one of two things happen....a film from Quebec wins best picture and everyone in Quebec applauds the greatness of the Quebecois and their mighty victory over the evil English. Or.....an English (language) film wins and the Quebecois become enraged that they and their culture have been snubbed by English Canada.....AGAIN!!! Sound familiar?

Many of you may think I make this stuff up about how whacky and messed up Canada is. Here, I have links!

http://www.academy.ca/Canadian-Screen-Awards/2016-Nominees-Winners/Film

Ok now you're thinking, can this get any funnier or more bizarre? Well my American and international friends, I say YES, YES, indeed it can. You see Quebec is so in love with their culture and their language, that they decided they needed their own awards show to hand out trophies for film and TV product that is in, wait for it.....French only! Yes even their cute little awards show is broadcast in French only, and the English are told to stay home. Here have a look:

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/le-prix-jutras/

Ok now you're at the point of, no more Richard, please no more! It's hilarious stuff but surely that's it? Well, you're be wrong on that point. Not to be outdone, Canada's Indian population decided, hey if the French and English have awards shows, then we need one as well!! And so here we are, The Aboriginal Achievement Awards, no I am not making this up:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-hosts-national-aboriginal-achievement-awards-gala-1.838873

Here's some other fun facts! Canada has fewer people than the state of California, yet it has six film ratings boards. Unlike the USA which has one, the MPAA. Why does Canada need six? Oh well *gasp* because Manitoba is culturally distinct from Ontario and therefore, Manitoba needs their own film ratings board. Silly Americans, why do you even ask?

Oh, then there are the actors unions, Canada needs to have three, with British Columbia and Quebec having their own :wacko:

Now many of you will understand why tens of thousands of Canadians have left this frozen whacky country and taken their film careers to LA! Who the hell can blame them?

R,