Getting Started with Super 8 in the 21st C

Freya Black

Here is my new article on Super 8 which was written before all the new announcements:

http://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/3180-shooting-on-super-8-in-the-21st-century

Sadly a lot of the links got lost somewhere in editorial which takes away from the usefulness slightly but I'm sure you can all google for the missing sites.

There's a lot of info here on how can work with Super 8 cheaply right now.

Should be helpful if combined with some local info.

Freya

It's an excellent article on starting out! It summarizes most of the issues related to buying a camera. Not sure I'd get a 514XL, but that's just me. The advice is sound.

So, anyone on the internet who wants to know how to get started with Super 8... read this! It's a great take on getting started.

• Upvote 1

It's an excellent article on starting out! It summarizes most of the issues related to buying a camera. Not sure I'd get a 514XL, but that's just me. The advice is sound.

So, anyone on the internet who wants to know how to get started with Super 8... read this! It's a great take on getting started.

Thanks so much for the nice words and feedback.

You had me worried for a moment that things had got even more mangled in editorial but the article suggests the 514XL-S as a cheap quality camera that is easy to get hold of. It's a completely different camera to the 514XL although personally I also love the 514XL because it's small with some nice options but the 514XL-S is a more straightforward Canon Super 8 camera that doesn't get fought over like some of the other canon options. It's actually quite nice. You can read about it here:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_514_XL-S

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

My favorite cheap Super 8 camera is the Canon AF310XL which has one of the worst autofocus incarnations ever made but it is so easy to use. Usually hand it out to the kids or people who've never used a Super 8 camera. The battery compartment is constantly breaking so I have to gaffer tape it shut.

When I'm shooting myself I have a Beaulieu 4008 mk2 Jubilee that is flawless.

What do you recommend for scanning the film to work in digital?

Depends on what kind of budget you have, where you are, and what kind of film you shot (negative or reversal).

So many options out there.

Freya