Nikon R10 Internal filter question

David Fulham

Hi everyone,

I’m shooting a test roll at the moment (my first) on a Nikon R10 but I can’t work out whether inserting the filter key turns the internal filter on or off?

My understanding from the manual is that inserting the key turns the filter off - but I’m not sure if I’m interpreting it correctly. It’s confusing as it references old film stock (Kodachrome Type A) which I think was tungsten balanced film, and then talks about artificial light which I’m guessing from the time would mean Tungsten lighting.

I thought someone on here would probably know from their own experience shooting with the camera. I've read too that the R10 can work it out itself based off the film cartridge, but I've been inserting the key for different shots so am wondering too if this will have any effect to my shots so far? Hopefully me inserting the key has had no effect.

Thanks
Dave

Edited by David Fulham

Hi David,

I've just gotten interested in Super 8 since the Kodak announcement at CES 2016. I picked up a Nikon R8 but I haven't used it yet. I am shooting my first roll of Super 8 (Tri-X) on a Nizo Pro. The filter on the Nikon R8 seems to be the same as on the Nikon R10. I would say .... leave the key out unless you are shooting film balanced for artificial light in artificial light. Obviously tests must be made to figure this filter out. I plan on only shooting Tri-X (B&W) reversal film and sticking to the 4x3 aspect ratio. I am still wondering about how I am going to develop and scan this film.

ph

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo David and Peter,

I own both, Nikon R-10 and R-8 cameras. If you use daylight balanced films, the cart turns the filter out. Therefore leave the filter-key out.

But: Nikon R-10 and R-8 have different exposure-systems !

Inserting the filter-key at the R-10 has had no effect.

But: Inserting the filter-key at the Nikon R-8 has the effect, that the iris closes 2/3 steps ( 2 ASA ) !

Kind regards

Henry

Hey Heinrich, that is super interesting, thanks for that tip. Lucky then I'm on the R10 and would have had some problems. I will remember if I use the R8!

I realise now an easy way to test would have been to try a scene using the internal exposure meter with and without the filter key and if it changed by 2/3rds then I would have known the filter was pulled down.

Thanks everyone for your discussion!

Tri-X actually benefits from a filter switched in.

It works like a light orange filter and enhances clouds in the sky.

But then you can't as the camera swings it out when a cartridges is placed in which hasn't got the daylightfilternotch out :)

I doubt there is actually a difference in R10 and R8 exposing. It is a standard feature on most automatic EE systems.

More likely a feeler is not working properly then.

My experiences with the Nikon R-10 and R-8:

If you use an artifical-light-based film ( a cart with the notch for the filter-pin ): If Inserting the filter-key the iris closes 2/3 steps at the R-10 AND the R-8.

But if you use a daylight-based film ( a cart without the notch for the filter-pin ): If inserting the filter-key it has no effect at the R-10

( my R-10 is OK ) , but at the R-8 the iris will be closed 2/3 steps ( my R-8 is OK ).

With daylight-based films you don`t need the filter key, because the filter-pin in the camera swings the filter out ( as it was said before ).

All of this is great for learning how the camera operates in auto mode, but eventually you will want to move on to manual. I would keep the internal filter out all the time. They are over 30 years old, not made of glass but gelatin and probably corroded. Also, you can tell whether or not a Super 8 cart will push the filter out or not by looking to see if the cart is notched. I have cut notches when I needed them. I have also blasted a really bright light down the lens when engaging and disengaging the filter to see how it works. You have to look really hard to see it move. Great camera have fun with it!!