Sam Oddo

• Premium Member

battery powered led lights are quite usable if you can find ones which have good enough spectrum for your needs. I think a 300/650/1000 tungsten set is a good basic package and I would add a 2k tungsten fresnel if possible (I use them all the time in small shoots when HMI is too expensive to rent) .

basic stands for the lights. the production can usually rent extra stands, flags etc. if needed because they are cheap to rent so you might manage with the bare minimum of cheaper stands as long as they are sturdy enough to be safe. couple of sandbags. If you can afford them, a dedo or two (100w range) may be handy in many shoots.

You have to calculate how much you will use your gear on productions to justify whether to rent or to buy a piece of equipment. You won't need for example mini kino flo -s all the time so no need to buy one, you can probably substitute one with cheaper led gear in some situations. If you don't have ANY kind of camera you should buy one but if you already have a camera then it may be better to buy some lights before upgrading the camera body. Your camera don't necessarily need to be the best available because you don't usually get fully paid for the gear anyway and you'll be probably hired for other reasons than the gear you own