Choosing a Camera

Tony Dupre

Re the required image circle for U16. There was a chap who wrote online about how he was using 16mm format lense for U16 without vigneting. Can't find that site today, but this drawing helps explain...

post-47078-0-17997600-1456260434_thumb.jpg

Re the idea of buying a camera. Buying one without knowing the condition and service history is a like a lottery. Find out as much as you can. Using a camera that is not maintained is like a lottery. Find out what the maintenance costs are and who can actually do it. If it's maintenance is too expensive or not accessible then consider borrowing or renting.

The price of a camera is meaningless without reference to it's condition.

Lastly, there are always one or two people on a forum who give advice in an emphatic manner, but don't really know what they are talking about. Politely avoid them.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

• Premium Member

Of course Gregg is correct in taking account of the maintenance history. I've found Arri cameras are generally much easier to have serviced in the U.S. than almost any other 16mm camera if that helps. Arri in NY has serviced an SR1 for me (rebuilt the control board!) and local rental house techs look at my SR2s and magazines regularly even though they don't rent their own cameras very much these days.

Learn routine maintenance and leave real repairs and annual checkups to the professionals.