Deciding between 16mm and 24mm

Max Field

Cannot make up my mind so I thought you guys would have some nice input. I already have a 35/50/85 set of prime cine lenses. I want to get wider but not sure HOW wide I need. Is 16mm TOO wide or 24mm too close to 35mm to make a difference? Does anyone have any sample pictures? Thanks.

I was considering a 135mm cine prime but the majority of my shoots are in small indoor areas where space is somewhat scarce.

• Premium Member

For what sensor size? I find myself using 24mm on Super 35 sensors all the time, very useful focal length. It's what I would think of as a wide normal lens. You could shoot a whole movie on it. On a full frame 24x36 sensor, 24mm is still useful but definitely feels much more wide angle. The equivalent focal length to get the same field of view in full frame is 38mm.

16mm is as wide as I would usually ever go in Super 35, unless it was for a specific effect, or trying to capture a very wide field of view. On full frame 16mm is crazy wide, starting to get into fish-eye territory. In the wider focal length ranges, just a few millimeters makes a huge difference.

I use a 135mm in Super 35 very infrequently unless I have a lot of space to back up the camera. You need to be about 10' away to get a close-up.

• Premium Member

24mm, 25mm, 27mm, somewhere in that range, would be the next useful step wider than a 35mm. Next after that would be an 16mm, 17.5mm, 18mm, 21mm lens, that range.

For example, the typical Zeiss Super-Speed set comes with 18mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm.

Certainly a 25mm would be more useful than a 135mm for interior shooting.

• Premium Member

How wide to go is often a question of taste, for me personally, most of the time I try not to go wider than 21mm if I can avoid it. I find that even at 18mm (which is a standard wide-angle on S35mm), the perspective distortion as you move the camera around is a little irksome to my eye.

That said, sometimes you need a 10mm, 12mm or 16mm lens. And if you need it, you need if.

So far as building a standard set of lenses, I'd probably opt for an 18mm over a 16mm. The jump from 16mm to 24mm is quite significant and I often find myself wanting something in-between those focal lengths.

If I could add only one lens to a 35/50/85 kit, I'd add a 21mm. If I could add two it'd be an 18mm and a 24mm. Three? A 16mm, a 21mm and a 27mm. Versatility in focal range would always be my guiding light in these toughest of choices.