Shooting anamorphic with C300 Mark II

Julie Angelo

Hello everyone! I have a question concerning shooting anamorphic with the C300 Mark II. First is it possible ? And if it is, how can I see the image desqueezed on the LCD/VF ? I've looked at the menu and I can't find the answer. Or is there a desqueeze option on the monitor (I don't know which one I'll use) I'm connecting to the camera ?

Thanks a lot !

Julie

Possible Yes. I dont think the C300 has an option for 2x anamorphic as far as resolution but you could should 1.3x with 16x9 to get 2.4:1. Unfortunately unless you have a PL mount you would be stuck with using adapters on the end of the lens, there are a lot of really good write ups about doing this. If you have PL I think there are a couple options for renting 1.3x Anamorphic Primes.

• Premium Member

There's no desqueeze option in-camera as far as I can tell. But you can still just put a scope lens on the camera and desqueeze in post. Most newer on-board monitors and EVFs should have a desqueeze option for framing, but it's not totally necessary. You'll want one that has customizable frame lines.

There are some monitors and view finders that will do the desqueeze with a passthrough so everything down stream of it will then be de-squeezed. I think the new Zacuto eyepiece does that. But the majority of monitors I use will do the desqueeze very easily. Pretty much any SmallHD will handle it. I use the AC-7 which is affordable. And the Ikan 17" field monitor will do it as well and its pretty affordable.

• Premium Member

To give you some idea of what you'll have to deal with to get a 2.39:1 aspect ratio:

Kowa 2x 40mm anamorphic on C300 Mk1 1.78:1 (Squeezed)

post-5721-0-06488500-1454665262_thumb.jpg

Kowa 2x 40mm anamorphic on C300 Mk1 3.56:1 (Unsqueezed)

post-5721-0-68576300-1454665294_thumb.jpg

Kowa 2x 40mm anamorphic on C300 Mk1 2.39:1 (Unsqueezed and Cropped)

post-5721-0-75251900-1454665774_thumb.jpg

You can see how much image you are losing on the sides once you crop to 2.39:1. You'll really need to have precise custom frame guides on your external monitor to even know what your final frame will be.

• Premium Member

On the other hand, once you have the correct frame lines, it's not too hard to compose even with a squeezed image:

post-5721-0-72925800-1454666271_thumb.jpg

So I guess I would prioritize frame lines over desqueezing, if you have to pick one over the other. Hopefully, you can have both.