Any worthwhile PL lenses to look at under $1000?

Max Field

Title says it all. Now that I have a camera I've been looking in to utilizing the mount. Keep in mind, I am not expecting anything close to the quality of a Zeiss or Cooke, only want the functionality (aperture ring, metal casing, etc).

Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

You can pickup the plastic pl-mount Sony lenses that were bundled with the F3 for only a little more than that. Outside of that you're looking at ancient glass that won't necessarily match anything else.

• Premium Member

PL and EF are a pain. The minimum spend to get anything like a reasonable set of lenses in PL mount is many thousands, although to be fair, even that has massively fallen away recently.

You can get perfectly reasonable cine-modified stills lenses for less money.

P

a Zeiss or Cooke, only want the functionality (aperture ring, metal casing, etc).

Sounds like you have it back to front. It's the physical aspects of the high end lenses that make them cost so much, not the glass so much as the mechanics. Things like smooth focus with long throws etc.

Other than that you can get stills lenses with nice glass but cheap housings, although metal casings shouldn't be hard to find.

What is it that you want to achieve?

Freya

It's the sort of thing that TLS do - but not, generally, in PL mount. I guess it may be possible to remount some types.

Duclos in the states.

There are some stills lenses that get rehoused a lot like that 11-16mm zoom (can't remember the name off hand) and that Sigma 18-35 at f1.8.

Freya

What camera do you have? some PL lenses are not meant for film cameras.

You can get LOMO PL lenses, many of my friends thats started out in the rental business started out with a set of LOMO's, if you can add more money you can get a cheap zoom lens like the RED 17-50 for 3.5K or Sigma 18-35 rehoused by GL optics for about the same.

You could also try and find the v1 Sony PL lenses that where made for the F3, they go very cheap.

I like the LOMO's as they have a vintage look, so you even if later on you move to modern looking glass, it's always nice to keep when you want the soft, vintage look with some breathing and flaring.

• Premium Member

what sensor size do you use, I have a Foton 37-140 T4.4 with switchable PL and EF mounts and rafcamera follow focus gear which I could sell (have two of them at the moment) . creates a bit of chromatic aberration (thus I asked the sensor size) but otherwise reasonably good lens for the price. if you're interested I can pm you samples :)

if you are looking for telephoto lenses you there is couple of Pentacon Six (zeiss jena) lenses you could look, at least the 80mm, 120mm and 180mm. Ef mount adapter for them is very cheap and PL mount adapter is quite affordable, you can use it as a intermediate mount. stop down 2 stops or more and they're very good lenses if the mechanics are ok :)

what sensor size do you use, I have a Foton 37-140 T4.4 with switchable PL and EF mounts and rafcamera follow focus gear which I could sell (have two of them at the moment) . creates a bit of chromatic aberration (thus I asked the sensor size) but otherwise reasonably good lens for the price. if you're interested I can pm you samples :)

Sensor is Super35. And yes please send over some samples of the Foton lens. If possible, could you give side-by-sides of the Foton up against a more modern lens? Thanks for the help.

• Premium Member

Sensor is Super35. And yes please send over some samples of the Foton lens. If possible, could you give side-by-sides of the Foton up against a more modern lens? Thanks for the help.

great! I can loan a BMPC 4k for the weekend and test it against Nikkor ai-s and zeiss jena lenses. nikkors have approximately the same look than the modern Nikon lenses