If you had 3 months to research about cinematography what would it be about?

Rasmus Eriksson

Hey Guys!

I’m from Sweden, 23 years old, and is currently working as a 2nd AC in big Swedish features and do some smaller cinematography gigs when I have time to spear. I’m also in my last semester taking a bachelor in film science and I´m now writing a 25-page essay which is going to be focused on some aspect in cinematography.

But I’m not really sure about my topic, which is at the moment:

Sven Nykvist role in being one of the first to use a more naturalistic lighting approach and how it have affected todays cinematographers in their lighting technique.

If you had 3 months to dig in archives, read old cinematography magazines, do interviews, watch films ect? What would you write about, what would you want to know?

Thanks! :)

If you would want to have a look at my showreel its here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lXbBkQsc30&feature=youtu.be

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Rasmus

Last year, also for an essay I read "A man with a camera" by Nestor Almendros.
Talking about most of the movies he shot and the evolution of lighting in a softer and naturalistic way, this should be a great reading for you.

Also for more recent books on new approachs on cinematography, I advise you "Shooting Time, Cinematographers on cinematography" a book released by the Netherland Society of Cinematographers and "New Cinematographers" by Alexander Ballinger

I think i would dig into lighting plots from the 50's and try to better understand studio lighting from the glorious Hollywood era. I would also try to know how life was for people who worked in big studios. Because i think it was a totally different approach. Nowadays, if you work in movies, it's exceptional. I get the sense that back in the 50's, it was like a normal job.