Peleng 8mm Focus Problem? (For Krasnogorsk K-3, 16mm)

James Gordon

So I just received my Peleng 8mm wide angle lens. I'm using it on my Krasnogorsk K-3 Ultra 16mm camera. Thing is, it barely seems to focus when I adjust it.

Is this typical for this lens? I've read some mixed experiences. It's like I cannot focus specifically at any range. I can only detect a very subtle difference in focus when pointing closely at an object. And its still VERY subtle.

Does this sound like a lens issue? Seems odd that you can swing the focus dial completely back and forth and get no real noticeable difference.

Edited by James Gordon

I've used fisheye and wide angle lenses pretty heavily over the past few years. I haven't specifically used the Peleng 8mm, but I've used other 8mm lenses. All I can say is that though it doesn't look like it is focusing well through the viewfinder, you can see it much better on a bigger screen. Often times with ultra wide angles, I tend to refer to the numbers on the focusing ring and make my best judgment on how far away the subject is.

I doubt it is a lens issue.

It's always challenging manually focusing with wide angle lenses (especially super wide ones like fisheyes) due to them having so much depth of field. Yea as you've noticed, there's not going to be much of a visible difference in the viewfinder when you rotate the focus ring. I find focusing aids really handy in these situations. For example, on my old manual 35mm still SLRs, I'd use the split image microprism in the viewfinder. And with my digital M4/3 camera, i can digitally zoom in to the picture for more accurate focusing. Of course with the K3, you don't really have either of these options. The only thing you can do is rely on those distance markings on the focus ring like Jonathan suggested. By the way, Ive owned both the K3 and the Peleng 8mm but I never had the chance to use them together. That would indeed be a fun combination!