Generator balancing on a 3phase load with a 12k and 2x6ks

Antonio.m

its been a while since i've worked on a show with bigger lights and I have a show tomorrow andn i've been hired as the bb electric. as i've been told so far, we have 1x12k and 2x6k. all the gear belongs to someone else and i didn't get to test anything so i'm just showing up cold. so my question is balancing the loads on 3 phase power. my plan was to put both 6ks on the red/blue legs and the 12k on the blue/black leg. i'm thinking that's correct but if so that technically leaves the blue leg shared between th 3 lights. so isn that not right?

also i was told 2 separate runs of cable are being brought so that throws me off. i'm assuming the 12k needs its own run and if it does, is the configuration the same? or does that mean i can balance the 2x6ks on say, red/blue, blue/black and then put the 12k on whatever legs i want to share since its on its own run? this doesn't seem right to me tho since all power is coming from the same plant. anyone care to clarify for me in a basic non technical manner?

What size cable are you using for your main cable runs? I would imagine you would have 5 wire number 2 banded. Is 2/0 available?

Also how large is the generator you are using?

How far will the generator be from the set? How long will the cable run be?

All these questions are to find out how to cable up your set and consider load and line loss.

Not knowing any of the above, if you have 5 wire number 2 banded you can run 125 amps on each phase safely. to balance the load for a generator you can put the 12k on red and blue. the first 6k can go on black and blue. I would put the second 6k on Black and red. That will be the best you can do.

When you can it is best to balance and plug your big lights first.

Tim

Edited by timHealy

Need to know some more i Think you are in 110v so i Cannot help you but If you have Three fases Just put one load for each

Leonardo Brocato

Gaffer Rome Italy

Our power isn't quite as simple :)

Mostly 120v/240v ( we do use higher voltages but for basics it is 120v/240v.

Single Phase 4-wire

Line 1-120v

Line 2- 120v

Neutral

Ground

120v Loads will use Line 1, Neutral, Ground or Line 2, Neutral, Ground

240v loads will use Line 1, Line 2, Ground

and to make it more confusing once we go to 3-phase it is generally 120v/208v on generators.

Line 1-120v

Line 2-120v

Line 3-120v

Neutral

Ground

120v Loads: any Line, Neutral, Ground

240v loads will be fed 208v

Line to line voltage is 208v ( The unusual value of 208V derives from 120V multiplied by sqrt(3).)

make any sense ?

:)