Film or Not to Film, that is the Question?

Jeffrey G Baca

To answer your question.

I shoot both film & video. I shoot film for the more creative projects. Personal endeavors or when a producer wants film.

At a certain proffesional level in most situations film and video cost are the same. Overall I think the argument is negligable for scripted programing.

I do seek out films shot and projected on film. I drove 3 hours to see Hateful 8 at the AFI Silver. It was worth the trip, stunning presentation gorgeous imagery. I regularly drive 45mins to see repertory films projected on film. I avoid the digital theater, it's too much like the home experience these days. Not impressive or better than film.

I don't think film is dead either as long as people continue to shoot it. It's less expensive now to shoot film negative then ever.

Mr. Heckert

Thanks for the reply :) . I would like to make motion pictures myself shot on film.

GREAT job to see the Hateful 8, i haven't hadda chance.

#filmisalive

jGb

I saw something done that indicated (not talking about film prints in theatres and striking 2000 of them, just original photography) that it was about 10% more with small productions.

When you get bigger and bigger, the cost of one actor is more than the entire cost of film, processing, printing.

I also sought out H8ful Eight in 70mm, although I bought a Star Wars matinee ticket because they threw the projectionists'

union out there.

Held off on slashing two or three rows of seats though, as I left ;-)

I truly wish that I could have been there, as they HAD TO CALL THE PROJECTIONISTS UNION BACK IN TO RUN THIS FILM, for that phone conversation.

And profound thanks to Quentin Tarantino and the Producers for insisting upon experience rather than letting the freckle-faced, high school drop-out, teenie-boppers shred the film up after one or two days.

Mr. Leeds,

As i said the industry is in Flux now, with Film still in the conversation IF we wish it to be.

And i am very hopeful as others wish it too.

jGb

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of digital vs film PROJECTION: I am more a fan of digital, though it depends on where I see it at.

Despite the projectors being 'new', a local 2nd run cinema's movies look like crap projected on the Barco 2k's... Although, they look better than they did when they projected film - which often resulted in watching a print that had been previous ran hundreds of times. Never forget the time I wanted to watch 'Hobbit 3' with a film print in 2nd run and sat through a green line spanning half the clip for most of the movie... So even the worst digital beats the worst film....

As for first run: It's a mixed bag. The AMC 18, despite being newer and using the '4k projectors', sucks. The screen door effect is apparent in nearly every movie (they use Christie projectors I think). However, the Cinema De Lux 18 down the road has some of the best digital projection I have ever seen.

I will admit though, when film was the thing - I noticed much less differences between theaters....

As for PRODUCTION, I'm a digital guy. Never grew up around film and never could afford it. My opinion is that if its good enough for 80% of most movies being shot today, it's probably good enough for lowly old me.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• 11 months later...