Revenant/Mad Max prove digital is better?

Hrishikesh Jha

They would not have looked crap at all. Cave paintings were originally illuminated by fire, and fire provides sufficient illumination in terms of natural perception. Some theories suggest the dancing shadows produced by fire light on the cave walls would have interacted with the artwork to produce a quasi-animated effect.

We know they must have been illuminated by fire because their position deep within the cave would have made them otherwise impossible to paint, let alone see the result.

C

Yes maybe they were film-makers :)

And I've sometimes wondered if one of those ancient residents discovered the effect caused by a very small hole somewhere, letting daylight into the cave and projecting real images onto a wall ? Cinema !

Bold thoughts but very much agreed. There's something about something physical, that you can hold in your hands that is really special. I love holding a comic book in my hands rather than reading a digital version of it, I love having an awesome Blu-Ray digipack with an awesome cover art rather than plugging the Ipad into the receiver and seeing it instantly, holding a piece of film in your hands, seeing the image imprinted on it.

Indeed. Tyler makes a really good case. Many years ago (late 80s) I was drawing and publishing comic books. We didn't make much money out of it but made enough for us to keep it up for about five issues. Lots of great stuff. And such is as fresh in my hands today as it was when first printed. Recently I launched a film journal as a print only journal (no digital version). We had it printed in a comic book format (in terms of size and page count). Full colour with lots of artwork. In any case something quite beautiful about having it as an object in one's hands - and denying any other way of consuming it. While it's very easy to write a lot of interesting material when working digitally, there's nothing like a physical book to focus one's thoughts. There is something about physical material that becomes a magnet for one's most succinct forms of expression.

The physical materials associated with digital are not any less physical but the materials of digital play a far more interchangeable role. It is the design of digital technology to create a greater separation of materials and content. While this allows digital content to move far more easily from one material to another, it must sacrifice in advance any useful bond it might otherwise have with materials (including light). Analog information is similar but it binds itself more tightly to a given material (including light), and when it is asked to move to another material (as in a print) it takes with it something of the material in which it was previously embedded. But this is a slightly misleading way of talking about it. This extra is not really an echo of the material as divorced from content but an attribute of the "material-content" prior to any such divorce.

C

Edited by Carl Looper