Movies shot on DV

Ckulakov

Dear Filmmakers,

Please post photos, links, and descriptions of films shot on video that looked amazing and did not necesarily achieve the 'film look' but where succesful and looked the best that they could look. Films wich looked original, stylized, and had great production value.

I really need things to inspire me that DV can create amazing results.

PLEASE POST ANYTHING

Thank You in advance

Check out "28 days later", by Danny Boyle. Shot by Anthony Dod Mantle.

Good splatter/zombie movie. Shot on DV apparently because Boyle didn't get enough funding after failing with "The Beach".

Funny movie with good cinematography. Although the extreme total pics should have been done on 16mm. They don't look very good, especially on the silver screen.

Thanks Daniel,

I looked up some screen shots of "THE FAST RUNNER" and they where amazing beautiful composition and what had the best impact was the scenery. They really had a talented team.

BUT PLEASE KEEP POSTING THIS IS REALLY HELPING.

ANYTHING WILL WORK

Guest Charlie Seper

I may be wrong but I think I heard that "Pi" was shot on video. Of course its black and white and purposely grainy, but that just added to the quirkiness of the whole thing.

Fast Runner was shot in hi-def and looked very good. I was stationed in Alaska back in the 70's while in the Army and still have fond memories of the great white north. (Being a fan of Norse mythology doesn't hurt either). I was really glad to see that film because I always thought that some of the best spooky stories came from the Eskimos.

Something else that comes to mind is Masterpiece Theatre. Most of their old shows were done on video and blow the socks off most theatrical films. The storyline is 90% of it after all. Did you ever see, "The Wraith of God"? I haven't seen it in years but I think that was done on video. (Bruce Davidson was in it). A really remarkable film.

Pi was shot on Super 16

I didn't know Fast Runner was shot on video...I saw projected from 35mm....

It looked amazing and my god what an incredible story...

Why can't more indie movies be like that?

Here are some films shot on DV--I categorized them by cameras used

Sony PD150/PD170

Pieces of April

Dancer in the Dark

Tadpole

Manic

American Gun

Open Water

& of course--Jackass :rolleyes:

Canon XL1/XL1s

28 Days Later

Pinero

Party Monster

Full Frontal

Julien Donkey Boy

& of course--Jackass :)

So far nothing important has been shot with the Panasonic DVX100/DVX100a

But Steve Buscemi director Lonesome Jim and coming out soon...

So you should go see it projected to see how DV fares on the big screen...

Guest Charlie Seper
As mentioned earlier, FAST RUNNER was shot in Standard Def NTSC Digibeta- here's the place that did the amazing transfer:

http://www.digitalfilmgroup.net

Really? They showed some footage at the end of the credits of the crew while they were shooting and that sure looked like a hi-def cam to me. I couldn't make out what it was but it looked quite large for a standard def unit. If that was standard def then I'm even more impressed. Even the big, wide outdoor long shots looked great. I only saw it on DVD though.

Like a lot of people, I'm very interested in what "November" is going to look like at the theatre. Just a couple of more months....

• Premium Member
Dear Filmmakers,

Please post photos, links, and descriptions of films shot on video

Get your hands on In This World. It was directed by Peter Winterbottom and shot by Marcel Zyskind, who sometimes surfaces on this website.

It is a very special film, and to my mind in a different league from most of what is being made these days.

Guest Trevor Swaim

I thought that "dogville" by lars von treir was a very beautiful movie in a different way. no sweeping panoramic but a supreme example of the importance of character, story and well written dialogue.

• Premium Member
I thought that "dogville" by lars von treir was a very beautiful movie in a different way. no sweeping panoramic but a supreme example of the importance of character, story and well written dialogue.

A lot of von Trier's work is like that. I too thought the movie was rather innovative. "Festen" is another good example. The cinematography as far as exposure and clarity wasn't all that great but it just shows you what can be done with a really cheap dv camera.

• Premium Member
Was all of dancer in the dark shot on DV or was it just the musical sequences (which were quite obviously DV)?

That film was incredible.  Not necessarily "the look" - but the movie was intense.

It was all shot in DV -- just that the musicals were shot with consumer DV cameras (with anamorphic attachments) while the rest was shot with a professional DV camera. It may have been a Sony DSR-500 16x9 DVCAM for the non-musical scenes and a PD-100 DVCAM for the musical scenes. He wanted hundreds of cameras running for the musicals, hence one reason for using cheaper consumer cameras.

as far as I can tell, the musical scenes were, as david said, shot on a pd100 or 150. A DSR-1p was used as well. For most shooting, I'm assuming they used their DXC-D30 though, and not the 1p :D

Hello all,

I would add The Anniversary Party (2/3 DVCAM) and The Center of the World (PD150). I prefer the first one, really great film by the way.

Also have a look at Shimotsuma Monogatari, japanese film, don't know which camera (looks like DVX100) but amazing use of video to create a sureal feeling, full of saturated colors.

Olivier

www.theblacksheep.be

www.marlathemovie.com