basic spacelight "Duppy flu"

I am thinking about buying this basic spacelight that uses four compact fluorescent lamps and is said to be equivalent to a 4kw tungsten fixture at 5400°K. It is on sale on onvideo.it

The price is very attractive (less than € 250) but I ask if anyone have used it and comments on it. Thank you

post-69858-0-13588300-1457361417_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Just two days ago I had someone hand me a big softbox with compact fluorescents in it and said it was 1K equivalent. I then turned it on, waited till the lamps warmed up, and sat a 1K tungsten next to it, with the same diffusion and no one could tell the fluorescent was even on. Real watts matter.

Absolutely can't be..... in my experience..

if you think it's cheap buy it for the white skiirt and then recable with something really lighting....

depends on what you need it for....the classic spacelight (in italy called skypans) can be also with 4x625 w quartz bulb...

Leonardo Brocato

Gaffer

Rome Italy

• Premium Member

575 Tungsten equivalence for 105 is barely on the edges of possibility, although that's a surprisingly specific number. It's almost as if they're trying to make us think of a 575W HMI, but 100W of fluorescent isn't going to be anything like that bright.

And of course, that's more like 2K, even if you believe them.

As to colour, large numbers of these large CFL lamps are floating around, often having been sold as devices for, ahem, "hydroponics". They're probably all made on the same Chinese factory and I've found them to be, well, not unusable. A bit cyan, perhaps. They don't filter well to tungsten, but then again what does.

P

i said in my experience... it's not the brand or the tipe....it's a matter of technology
in my tipe of work a spacelight of 40 cm it's useless, i have 3 CFL of Kino flo, i said Kino flo not Dynasun and those 3 cfl i can't use for video because are not flicker free due to cfl tech, and the CRI it's not so high for a kinoflo product. On the website it's written 500w equivalent.... and this is not the same, also use the number 575w to misunderstood the power of an hmi it's terrific...

It depends on what you need to do with these.

Leonardo Brocato

Gaffer

Roma Italy

www.loudphoto.it