Braless/Decoded Lighting

Hello Everyone!

First time posting in the forum, don't know if I'm doing it right but after being a fan of the site I figured I'd actually ask a question for once. Currently working on a Youtube Channel for a friend of mine, and started looking up people I admired at least from a lighting standpoint. This youtube channel would be lower budget and shot inside my friends home. So house power is a must as I'll be low on funds and manpower.

Attached below are my references, (Braless and Decoded) was wondering about how to achieve this look and what lighting do you think was used. Most likely it would be shot on the BlackMagic Cinema Camera.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Much love

- Armani post-69879-0-13600500-1457590574_thumb.jpgpost-69879-0-21769400-1457590586_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

I did some b-camera operating on one episode of 'Braless.' It's a set - couple of painted flats, couch, coffee table. As I recall there were a few Kinos on high rollers, one up and over the flat as a hair light, one 3/4 back as a kicker, and a frontal softbox as a key. There may have been a few other small lights sprinkled around for set accent lights. Pretty simple.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

This is why I don't have much interest in the whole "user-generated content" approach. It isn't user-generated anymore. It's people sitting on professionally-lit sets pretending that their house is just that pretty.

It comes off as insincerity.

P

This is why I don't have much interest in the whole "user-generated content" approach. It isn't user-generated anymore. It's people sitting on professionally-lit sets pretending that their house is just that pretty.

P

Well quite! Made by MTV isn't exactly very "user generated" to start with tho...

I'm a little at a loss as to what the budget is like as you say it's low budget and shot in a friends house but on the other hand you are in Cali and worried about maxing out the mains!

What I would do here in the UK where most things tend to be no-budget, would be to get hold of a large paper chinese lantern and some kind of bulb and then hang that out of shot from a boom microphone stand or something else useful of that nature. I imagine you might be able to hang a lantern like that off a gobo stand/arm somehow too maybe if that is what is available to you. For bulbs I have those really huge daylight balanced compact flo's but you might have access to something better than that. If the talent moves around it might even be possible to boom this lantern around above them on a pole of some kind. Watch out for trip hazards from the cables if you attempt that latter idea. Stay safe.

Freya

• Upvote 1

P

You mean like this...

wayne.jpg

They weren't seriously pretending it was what it appeared to be, and nor were they doing it on a platform dedicated to that, filled with people doing that.

P

Don't know if 'public access tv' was part of the UK cable scene, but in the US, it was available (may still be...) via cable carriers. Because of the way that the cable companies 'carried' the material, it was never really as effective as the concept was intended, which is a democratization of TV programming.

"Wayne's World" was a lampoon of the type of content that was most often produced by non-professionals who did create content for submission to the cable carriers. It was mostly for local consumption, and to unless one 'knew someone, who knew someone... etc... making the content'... the show got no notice.

Wow thanks so much for all the input, didn't expect to get so many responses. Love the input, going to look up the best possible way to emulate this. Satsuki so awesome you worked on a episode of this show, thanks for the insight!

This forum rocks!