Zeiss Jena DDR Tevidon 25mm lens

Eugene Lehnert

I purchased a 25mm Zeiss DDR Tevidon 25mm lens from Ebay thinking it was going to be a standard 25mm lens but it seems to be a macro lens as it will focus objects a few inches from the camera but is unable to focus anything far away. Is anyone familiar with these lenses? I do have to say it does look quite clear. It would be nice to get a wide angle 10mm Zeiss lens. I saw one on Ebay but never got it.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I already own the Zeiss Tevidon 10mm f2, and I just won on EBay the 25mm f1.4, and the 16mm f1.8. There is amazingly little information about these C-mount Tevidons, and I simply could not take the curiosity any longer. I paid a lot for the 10mm on Ebay, over $300 (at the advice of a camera/lens tech who you all know very well. But looking back I should have taken that advice with a grain of salt...since they sell brand new for around $400). Luckily, it was in mint condition. I have not shot any tests yet, but I bought a highly detailed resolution chart for just that purpose. FYI, this 10mm seems amazingly free of barrel distortion, and easily covers the Super16 frame, with apparently a bit to spare. It also appears sharp from edge to edge, which is one of the boasts on the site that sells them (doktor optics, or doctor optic, or something like that). But, that is only through the viewfinder. I wrote to the company which I just mentioned relentlessly, asking for additional specs, and if a tech there could tell me the resolution in lp/mm. They were not helpful at all.

Well, I will soon have a complete set. My ACL is getting prepped for production, so by the time I get it back, the lenses will have arrived.

I am pretty new here, but I will do my best to contribute by posting my results on these highly unknown (but perhaps excellent lenses)....as soon as I have solid results. I will attempt to post clips after some of the footage is transfered.

Oh, some posts I have read on different forums, confirm the claim that these are very sharp lenses. But then, conflicting information is everywhere. We shall see soon enough.

If anyone has any info they would like to add, please do. These might make a better alternative to using C-mount Switar lenses on various C-mount cameras, like the Eclair ACL.

(I'll leave this same message on a few other threads which are discussing the Tevidons)