Converting video-assist to HD

Hi everyone,

I have already been schooled on this subject by the community that speaks for my monitor company so yes, I already know my stupidity.

I bought the PIX-E5 to use with my schools cameras, a mixture of Sonys, one Alexa, and one RED Dragon, and of course out film cameras. Now it turns out two things that I should have looked up.

My monitor/recorder only supports HD resolutions, and it has to be a digital one. So my monitor is pretty useless. But I started to think if there is a solution to this. I had people telling me that the Decimator MD-HX might a solution to make this work. Problem is, I was planning using this in the field so I need a battery solution.

So to make it simple.

A, does the Decimator MD-HX have the capability to make a NTSC composite signal through BNC, to a 720 BNC?

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/DECIMATOR-Miniature-Converter-Scaling-Conversion/dp/B00QPRGGCS

B, Is there a way to run this on an external battery (but not a D-tap since the Arri SR-3 does not have that)?

/C

Hi!

I've just been researching for a similar solution. From what I understand the Decimator product you'd need is: http://decimator.com/Products/OBSOLETE/SDADC/SDADC.html but it's out of production.

I got a Aja V2Digital: https://www.aja.com/en/products/mini-converters/v2digital

For me it's works to convert the analog signal from a Arri 416 to a Sound Devices Pix240 monitor/recorder. Blackmagic makes a analog-digital converter also. It's cheaper but my rental house recommended me to avoid it and I generally don't trust Blackmagics products so I choose the Aja.

I can power the converter with d-tap but I'm waiting for a custom cable to let me power it from the 416 "mini-monitor" port (12v). If you don't have the option of getting power from the camera (it should be possible) I think it would not be hard to make a adapter to power it from small "dv-cam batteries". The power connector on the converter is some strange type so you'd need to get that from Aja I think.

I choose to get the adapter since I want to record the video tap with the cameras timecode burnt in so I can sync sound from the sound recorder manually when not using a slate. If you just want a monitor it would be much cheaper to get a used SD monitor to use with film cameras with analog video taps. I got a old Transvideo monitor for around 80€ and it also does the job.

Just did some more thinking and maybe you'd still have a problem is the Pix-e5 only works with 720p signals… The Pix 240 seems to have much more options for input signals, including PAL and NTSC.

I can try with a SmallHD 502 to see if it works with the converter, but I'll not have access to the camera until next week.

Good luck!

Just did some more thinking and maybe you'd still have a problem is the Pix-e5 only works with 720p signals… The Pix 240 seems to have much more options for input signals, including PAL and NTSC.

I can try with a SmallHD 502 to see if it works with the converter, but I'll not have access to the camera until next week.

Good luck!

I would love for you to check on this to get an actual real answer.

That said I read the manual for the decimator (here http://decimator.com/specs/MD-HX_HARDWARE_MANUAL_FV1.3.pdf ). And it seems it does accept 480/576 in (so NTSC/PAL), and it DOES upscale to whatever resolution I need (HD)

Hence I do think't it would work.

C

Hi,

I hope someone with more technical knowledge can give a better answer but to me it looks like the decimator will work. Only thing I'm not sure about is if it converts a analog signal to a digital signal. Maybe it upscales a digital SD signal but not a analog? If it does convert a analog signal I think my reseller gave me the wrong info and I sure will regret not getting the decimator since it would be handy to also have a SDI-HDMI converter...

I'll get back to you if I have some useful information, please let me know what you find out. Maybe a email to Decimator could give an answer.

Take care!

Hi,

I hope someone with more technical knowledge can give a better answer but to me it looks like the decimator will work. Only thing I'm not sure about is if it converts a analog signal to a digital signal. Maybe it upscales a digital SD signal but not a analog? If it does convert a analog signal I think my reseller gave me the wrong info and I sure will regret not getting the decimator since it would be handy to also have a SDI-HDMI converter...

I'll get back to you if I have some useful information, please let me know what you find out. Maybe a email to Decimator could give an answer.

Take care!

Back to square one.

Hi Carl,

The MD-HX is a digital only device and so can only convert SDI/HDMI to SDI/HDMI, to do the function you require you would need an analogue to SDI/HDMI converter which we currently do not offer.”

Hi!

I've just been researching for a similar solution. From what I understand the Decimator product you'd need is: http://decimator.com/Products/OBSOLETE/SDADC/SDADC.html but it's out of production.

I got a Aja V2Digital: https://www.aja.com/en/products/mini-converters/v2digital

For me it's works to convert the analog signal from a Arri 416 to a Sound Devices Pix240 monitor/recorder. Blackmagic makes a analog-digital converter also. It's cheaper but my rental house recommended me to avoid it and I generally don't trust Blackmagics products so I choose the Aja.

I can power the converter with d-tap but I'm waiting for a custom cable to let me power it from the 416 "mini-monitor" port (12v). If you don't have the option of getting power from the camera (it should be possible) I think it would not be hard to make a adapter to power it from small "dv-cam batteries". The power connector on the converter is some strange type so you'd need to get that from Aja I think.

I choose to get the adapter since I want to record the video tap with the cameras timecode burnt in so I can sync sound from the sound recorder manually when not using a slate. If you just want a monitor it would be much cheaper to get a used SD monitor to use with film cameras with analog video taps. I got a old Transvideo monitor for around 80€ and it also does the job.

This seems to be what I am looking for.

https://www.aja.com/en/products/mini-converters/hd10a-plus#support

C

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...