'cheap' zoom question

Jan Doggen

If I were to buy a secondhand zoom for a Mini35/Movietube setup, would an Angenieux 20-120 T2.9 for about $2K be a good idea or should I rather spend more cash on it and go for a cooke 20-100 for about $4-$5K?

JD

• Premium Member
If I were to buy a secondhand zoom for a Mini35/Movietube setup, would an Angenieux 20-120 T2.9 for about $2K be a good idea or should I rather spend more cash on it and go for a cooke 20-100 for about $4-$5K?

JD

Hi ,

I Have bought an Arg 20-120 T2.9 on E bay for £150 from Aardman Annimation, and also a Beautiful Cooke 20-100 for $2000 . The Cooke is a much nicer lens very sharp wide open, but this may not be an issue with the Mini 35. They are both quite heavy. Don't pay to much!

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

Hi ,

I Have bought an Arg 20-120 T2.9 on E bay for £150  from Aardman Annimation, and also a Beautiful Cooke 20-100 for $2000 . The Cooke is a much nicer lens very sharp wide open, but this may not be an issue with the Mini 35. They are both quite heavy. Don't pay to much!

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

wow... those are good prices... I need to be on ebay more often!

I guess I'll wait for a decently priced cooke to come around.

Any tips for more lightweight 'cheap' but good zooms?

JD

• Premium Member
wow... those are good prices... I need to be on ebay more often!

I guess I'll wait for a decently priced cooke to come around.

Any tips for more lightweight 'cheap' but good zooms?

JD

Hi,

I would wait for a Cooke. There is a seller who has been trying to sell Old Arg + Cooke Lenses for some time. I bought a Cooke 20-60 from him last week. His prices have been falling as there were no takers at 3K+. Try emailing him max@paradisefx.com . He seems honest and will offer a refund if not happy.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi-  I'm a huge fan of the Cook 20-60, I'll be interested to hear your impressions of it! size-wise they're quite compact, but they seem to be harder to find than the 20-100's.

Hi,

I am shooting some basic tests comparing Cooke 20-60, Cooke 20-100,and 50mm Series II and 25mm Series III. I will telecine on Wednesday so I will let you know.

By eye the Cooke 20-60 looks slightly sharper than 20-100. The S II+III have a more creamy look!

I was interested in the 20-60 as its quite small and not that heavy. Often I have to shoot without an assistant as budgets are very low in Zurich.

Cheers,

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member
Hi-  I'm a huge fan of the Cook 20-60, I'll be interested to hear your impressions of it! size-wise they're quite compact, but they seem to be harder to find than the 20-100's.

Hi,

I have just done comparison tests shoothig Kodak 5212 viewing on a Spirit in HD.

The Cooke 20-60 and the Cooke 20-100 are colour wise identical, and very similar optically. The 20-60 wide open is very slightly softer in the middle of frame than 20-100 at T3.1 wide open. Optimium sharpness is a third of the way out from the middle of the frame on both lenses.

The Cooke 50mm Series II is very slightly softer overall than the above.

The Cooke 25mm Series III is softer still and does not match the 50mm for colour.

The Angenieux 20-120 is not anything like as good, much much softer and fringing. The smallest apeture I used on all of the tests was T4.

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member
Stephen,

I took the liberty of visiting your website. I'd love to know the specs on that IP Suisse Coffee / Potato Girl shots... I love the contrast and rich colors. Awesome work!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I remember it well, that was the first commercial shoot I did as a DP. I had only shot Motion Control in a studio till then!

Film was Fuji F64D, Camera Arri III, Cannon High Speed primes.

Coffee backlit Shot 35mm Lens T4, 4.00 in the afternoon Sun backlit and 2 mirrors and negative fill.

Potato Girl 24mm lens T4, 11.00 in the morning, natural sunlight . Clouds shot another day and composited.

Telecine Spirit @ The Mill London to Digi Beta.

Cheers

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member
Stephen,

Thanks for the info. You really picked the perfect times to get those shots.Very inspiring work! :)

-Jonathan

I had a crew for 3 days with average weather. I spent another 7 days with just the director and an Arri 3 driving all over the country and waiting for the right weather conditions!

Stephen