RED Raven vs URSA Mini 4.6K vs Kinefinity Terra 6K

David Peterson

NAB 2016 has not even started yet and competition is getting fierce! As Kinefinity announced two new cameras, the Terra 6K and Terra 5K.
Wrote my views up on the top three low budget cameras with higher than 4K raw options (RED Raven vs URSA Mini 4.6K vs Kinefinity Terra 6K):
If you don’t factor in the price / support / brand name cred, then I’d go for a Kinefinity Terra 6K over URSA Mini 4.6K or RED Raven any day of the week.

(.....and then I go into much more detail.... read the article!)

• Premium Member

how reliable are those Kinefinity cameras? that is a huge factor when making professional productions with any camera. if you have to buy a backup body it is not that cheap anymore.

Are there any feature films shot with them which have good budget, sets and locations so that the look can be evaluated more carefully?

to me it looks a bit like Epic MX footage: very detailed, mediocre highlight handling, not that great colors but ok for most uses :)

Is another day, and have written yet another blog post about Kinefinity​..... perhaps I am trying to singlehandedly double the amount of English content online written about Kinefinity! ;-) Talking about Kinefinity's Kinemount:
aapo, it is much much more popular in China this camera, and some other similar countries. But if you search on Google you can find a few Westerners using it as well.

I'm kinda deciding that I shall aim to save up for the KineMINI 4K to be my next camera after my current Sony PMW-F3 / BMPCC combo.

As a KineMINI 4K would cost a similar amount as an URSA Mini 4K, but be better in some ways. An URSA Mini 4.6K of course would be much better, but for that level of cost I'd go for a Kinefinity Terra 6K instead.
Edited by David Peterson

• Premium Member

Remember the kinefinity is raw only, no other recording codec available. So it's a very limited market and its probably why the camera looks ok. Since the debayer would be done in post, you can tweak the cameras look much easier. So what does the camera look like in cinema dng without their proprietary LUT.

Remember the kinefinity is raw only, no other recording codec available. So it's a very limited market and its probably why the camera looks ok. Since the debayer would be done in post, you can tweak the cameras look much easier. So what does the camera look like in cinema dng without their proprietary LUT.

From the published specs of the newer Kinefinity Terra cameras, it says they can shoot up to 5K/6K ProRes so that may no longer be the case.