k-2, k-3 setup ideas/questions

connor denning

What I'd like to know is can the k-2 be used with modern western film (the same as the k-3 uses). The reason I want the k-2 rather then the k-3 is that it has remove able cartridges witch would make loading film quicker. Is the governor accurate in the camera? I'd like to shoot with sound if I have to re-dubb I can, but I have at least some idea of how long that takes. If someone could explain how to do re-dubbing that be grate, though I could figure that out with enough time. I'd like to know to know if using the k-2 is as usable as the k-3.

The rig I'm planing on using is a blimp with a non-reflex viewfinder (maybe bolex) mounted on it with some form of parlex corrector (though I'm not sure how the latter works). Depending on weather or not or I can get usable results with sound out of the unmodified camera, I would like to ether use a sync motor replacing the spring motor and drive shaft, or if the sound out of it works fine I would like to just have a motor wind the spring as it unwinds. (Any thoughts on all of this).

• Premium Member

I use the K2 quite a lot with current films without problems. the perforations and film dimensions are the same so why not.

the cassette system is useful if you have lots of different stocks on same shoot and have to be able to switch them every 20 ft. or so. otherwise it is pain in the *** and causes dust/gate hair very easily especially if you handle it the wrong way.

it is also more difficult to load the cartridges in darkroom than it ever is with the daylight spools. so, if you are using the camera for film stock testing then it is useful system but otherwise I would just use the K3

I use the K2 quite a lot with current films without problems. the perforations and film dimensions are the same so why not.

the cassette system is useful if you have lots of different stocks on same shoot and have to be able to switch them every 20 ft. or so. otherwise it is pain in the *** and causes dust/gate hair very easily especially if you handle it the wrong way.

it is also more difficult to load the cartridges in darkroom than it ever is with the daylight spools. so, if you are using the camera for film stock testing then it is useful system but otherwise I would just use the K3

Why do you have to change it every 20ft? And can't it do daylight?

• Premium Member

I think it's practical only if you have to constantly change film mid-roll. otherwise you will be much happier with the K3.

the magazine can be changed in daylight but it has to be loaded in total darkness

I think it's practical only if you have to constantly change film mid-roll. otherwise you will be much happier with the K3.

the magazine can be changed in daylight but it has to be loaded in total darkness

I'd buy about 5 or 6 of them, so i could shoot more takes in a day.

M42 lenses were meant for 35mm cameras so they rarely come in focal lengths shorter than about a 24mm. Normal for 16mm. is about 15mm. so most M42 lenses will be rather long, that is, have a small angle of view. Of course the rear element has to clear the mirror, which may rule out very short lenses such as the Peleng 8mm and the Zenitar 16mm. You might be able to adapt some C-mount lenses.

Incidentally the flange focal distance of the camera is fixed.

Edited by Mark Dunn