Ektachrome 7240 VNF

Hello! I have a couple of VNF unprocessed Ektachrome 7240. Does this particular emulsion have rem-jet? Can I process it with E6 or my safest way would be to process it as B&W?

Thanks!

Edited by Antonio Bunt

I shot a bunch of this for TV news back in the '70s. We all took turns processing the film. I don't think there was any rem jet on the film. All of the steps were purely chemical. I think the rem jet has to be removed mechanically.

E6 is a different process so the colors might not come out correctly but it should work. VNF can handle the high temps that E6 uses.

Mike

Reversal stocks don't use rem jet anti-halation backings.

Actually... Quite a few of the ektachrome stocks from the 70s, 80s and 90s had remjet. All the em-26 stocks like the type g e160 had rem jet. Kodachrome had rem jet as well.

The VNF stocks did NOT have rem jet as it was built for speed and ease of processing for quick broadcast later in the news day.

Right... the VNF stuff will process in E6 but the color will not be right (most likely magenta) for a number of reasons, the most important being age. If you plan to scan it, you MAY be able to correct it in post... but there might not be enough of the other colors left.

You can process em-26 as E6 as well as long as you remove the remjet first with some borax in total darkness... always a challenge to get it all of AND not scratch the emulsion. You'll feel it coming off in your hands. Just go slow.

This gives you a pretty good idea of what various forms of processing will look like with old EM-26:

And this give you a good idea of VNF:

Note that this example is MUCH newer than the one you have. It will likely NOT be as good.

Dave

LAbs have machines to spray and hose off the remjet. There is no need to remove it in advance of processing. DIY people usually do it after the chemistry part is done. Don't let the film dry and take of the remjet before further washing. Filter the baths after using them.

Soup up your German or just watch the instructions: http://www.filmkorn.org

on VNF http://www.filmkorn.org/e6-fuer-ektachrome-vnf-filme-optimieren/

remjet removal http://www.filmkorn.org/tutorial-entfernung-von-remjet-bei-super-8-filmen/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Sponsor

Have you considered talking to Film Rescue? They specialize in this kind of development.

Otherwise a Cross process in ECN2 might work but you would want to test a short piece before proceeding with the whole roll.