Lytro Cinema

Tim Tyler

Lytro Cinema captures all the rays of light within a scene, providing a rich amount of Light Field data. Every pixel has color properties, directional properties, and its exact placement in space.

Lytro Cinema is defying the traditional physics of on set capture by virtualizing creative camera decisions. Infinite creative choices can be generated in post-production including unprecedented control over focus, perspective, aperture and shutter angle – recreating impossible shots.

755 RAW Megapixels

Up to 300 fps

Up to 16 stops of Dynamic Range

Integrated High Res Active Scanning Systems

http://vimeo.com/161949709

https://www.lytro.com/cinema

• Premium Member
Lytro Cinema captures all the rays of light within a scene

No it doens't, it captures a representative selection and infers the rest, just like everything else :)

Sorry. I'm a killjoy. S'my job.

P

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, Lytro looks like it is worthy of being called a disruptive technology, for the way CGI is made. It is more power to the post, although if this technology becomes dominant like Lytro thinks it will, I hope DPs in the future will still have a word to say about creative decisions such as depth of field, focal length, shutter speed etc…

I do love the creative possibilities that this tool opens. Dynamically changing the depth of field is one of the new gimmicks. Having impossible combinations of shutter speeds and frames per second. Having an optically perfect lens. Doing 3D with only one camera. Stabilization and tracking in camera. Getting rid of the green screens!

And with an array of these cameras, capturing a whole scene in full 3D for CG integration is an exciting perspective.

I have a few questions, for those who were at NAB and were able to see the beast in person...

What about the concept of focal length, it is thrown out of the window as well? Is the represented space "flatter" if you use a long lens?

Also I wonder what Lytro means by making shutter speed and frame per second decisions in post. If the camera is capturing 300fps, the sensor must have a certain integration time and therefore, a "shutter". I suppose they are just using an optical flow algorithm to recreate different shutter speeds in post?

Basically I'm wondering what the actual specs of this camera are in terms of ISO, focal length, aperture. there is a real lens in front of their magic sensor. So, how does the camera react well to lens flares? Are overexposed areas are still well represented in 3D. This kind of things