Super 8mm labs in France (or a nearby country)

Gene Sung

Hello, I’m from Los Angeles but might be going to Paris this summer to shoot some B-Roll for a film project (vacation / work combo). Simple stuff, probably only 3 rolls of Super 8mm film

To avoid airport X-Rays, I was thinking of buying the film in France. Are there any reputable super 8mm dealers that sell film, process and possibly do an HD digital scan in or around Paris?

I’ve heard great things about Andec, but they are in Germany which is a bit out of the way, so hoping for something in Paris or around there.

London could be a possibility if there is nothing in Paris, since I plan on going to the UK on the same trip. I suppose I could travel from the USA with the film and then process in Europe.

Thanks for any advice.

If you just ask the TSA security person to hand check your film, they usually will. Just don't be in a super rush. I've done it with Super 8 rolls and 35mm and Fujifilm pack film several times now. Only place I had trouble was I think in Morocco or something where I had a bag of 35mm that they made me put through the checked bag scanner. Film still came out great.

• Upvote 1

I would bring along the film myself. X-ray risk is from modern machines is almost hypothetical. Don't use leadlined containers. Security will turn up the power to peek through and thus enlarging the dosis :)

Bring them especially considering the hassle to get a few in Paris which could well cost the better part of a day. Not to forget the nearly doubled prices in Europe and certainly around Paris where everything is upped in price.

I am not sure if there is a Super-8 lab in Paris itself where they really process themselves. And once a week at least :)

You should consider Andec or Super8.nl Keep their get-in-before-processing-day schedule in mind. Postal service in Europe is excellent but you need to verify the running time for small parcels. Otherwise consider a parcel service. Getting a HD-scan on the same go is best discussed with the labs. I suppose www.super8.nl is most suitable when you want to agree on a scheme as they process by hand and procedures are more flexible (I think).

Edited by Andries Molenaar

For processing and digitising, there is (I never work with them):

- Colorcity Image

This could work although not really in Paris :)

Still close to RER C stations which line easily brings you from Paris centre.

Don't show your gear too much on board, or at all.

Check if they process every day or when.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

I've worked on some occasions with Color City. They're great if you're short on time, because it's the closest lab there is in Paris, and if you're sweet enough with them they can be really quick to process. Their prices are ok for processing, but expensive for scan. If you have more time, and less money, processing and scanning from Andec in Berlin is a cheaper option.