Hey Guys,

This is my first post so forgive me if my format is incorrect or if I am missing information. My name is Chris and I’ve been working in film for a few years now. I started of by volunteering my time to a local production house here in Kansas and eventually I was able to turn that into profit. Being in the industry for the amount of time that i have been I have learned that the game is supposed to be sold and not told. I understand this however, I am doing my best to continue the learning process. being in a smaller market the gigs tend to reflect as such. To a degree I feel like there is no teacher like experience but where I stand is that I want to be prepared for these experiences. That being said I am considering branching of into different markets to see if there is more official training available. I already understand a lot of the basics like names of equipment, stands, how to operate stands and things of that nature but that is not to say that I’ve come across everything nor do i know each markets terminology for items.

My question to you all is do you know of any official training, courses, seminars, or workshops being offered that I may be able to attend? Book recommendations would be appreciated as well. I would be interested in learning things like rigging, dolly operation, and most importantly safety. I do live in Kansas but I am willing to travel anywhere to help advance my career.

Thanks!

-Chris

P.S. I understand the thought of working up under people and soaking up what they have to offer (thats what I have been doing). My problem with this is that people will only tell you either what they want you to know or what you need to know to get the job done.

Uva's Grip Book

Uva's Rigging book

Learn the five basic knots. Then learn some more knots like the masthead and the constrictor.

Learn to work safely. What would happen if a clamp failed?

A difficult skill, learn to think outside the box. Problem solving, etc. Not everything can be accomplished with a selection of common grip hardware.

• Upvote 2

To your last point, if you have the innate X-factor director's talent or have a gift for learning, working under people better than you is the absolute best way to improve. You gotta know which questions to ask and be strategic on finding a setting where you'll get answers. I've had a few guys here and there work under myself in exchange for the "intern education experience" when it comes to things like screenwriting or scene composition.

While I am in the middle of working on a project, I rarely get questions, which is depressing because the greatest thing you can get out of an internship is answers. Now if it's super quick run-and-gun type productions, yeah probably not a good time for questions, but if you are offering your time and talent for free, the least you are entitled to is some knowledge during a slow moment.

I've probably already gone on too long without knowing whether you're primarily videography or filmmaking, but on a "higher creative level" or whatever people want to call it, you need to not only work under people who know more than you. Make day to day friends who know more than you about literally anything that could go back into the production of a movie. Don't limit yourself to just what's in KC, get all over the internet. Try to get a sociable network on Skype, find an underground Youtube channel with impressive technique you'd like to know more about. Forums like these are incredible for objective answers (what's this do, how does this work), but when you get into looking for talk on technique, it's a matter of the work culture you've surrounded yourself with.

If you haven't been able to tell by now, I've never been a fan on relying on books/courses for education (not saying they don't help, just not for me most of the time).

The information's out there and you need to treat it like the results of a cancer biopsy.

Learning from others and the 'net is fine if it's a credible source. People with years of experience can and still do things the wrong or unsafe way. Last thing you want, especially if you want to go union is learn from some hack, claiming to be an expert.

Learning from others and the 'net is fine if it's a credible source. People with years of experience can and still do things the wrong or unsafe way. Last thing you want, especially if you want to go union is learn from some hack, claiming to be an expert.

Agreed. A community where this is a gigantic problem would be the voice over community.

Thanks JD! I've read both the Grip Book and Rigging Book but I do feel like i've gained much more practical knowledge from the Key's Ive been up under. I've gotten similar compliments from most that I have worked with about the willingness to learn. It is kind of like what Macks said. A lot of time people don't take the time to ask the right questions so the wisdom isn't being passed along. So I try to make it a point to learn something new every time.

I have been mainly working on commercials but I will be working on my first Feature starting Saturday. It just seems like people go out of their way to put on workshops and seminars for those that want to work camera department or direct but for this side of the process the training is limited. I don't mind gaining knowledge from the elders of the industry, but I was hoping for something a little bit more official to supplement what I can gain from them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The Set Lighting Technician's Handbook is a must read. If you buy it, you'll reference it throughout your career. Some of it will probably go over your head at first, but it is a good way to prepare for bigger jobs. I remember that the chapter on DMX controlled lighting seemed very mysterious to me at first, but after I started working with it more, I was able to go back to the book and absorb more.

If you can get on bigger commercials or features, you'll learn very quickly, better than any workshop. Observe, be helpful and people will be more likely to show you how to do what they do. Be honest if you don't know how to do something--"fake it til you make it" is not applicable to the set lighting or grip departments.

Rentals houses are a great resource. I stopped in to Lights On in KC while on a road gig and everyone was very welcoming. They may be able to refer you to gaffers and key grips in the area. The IATSE local in your area may offer safety training or certification on aerial lifts to members.

Learning from the books can give you a useful foundation, and it's wise to reference another source of info (even experienced technicians can form bad habits through lack of practice).

As for specific lighting techniques and setups--you gotta learn by doing and observing the real thing. Knowing how the equipment works is pretty straight forward, but learning to anticipate setups, work ahead, and solve problems as they crop up (ie, how do I rig a speed rail under that HVAC conduit without taking all day about it) is the hard part.

You can only learn so much from books and the internet. If you are passionate about learning and improving, move to NY or LA and keep working. It'll take time to meet people and network but it will happen. Think about getting into the union as larger union films do more and build more than lower budgeted non union films in every way. I have had the chance to work with a lot of DP's who have great resumes because I got into the union. I never would have had that opportunity if I stayed small.

About working in film. When you do get film jobs, show up early, keep your month shut, try to save questions for important ones and just do what your boss asks (But if it obviously not safe, by all means say something. Some day you may actually have to walk off a job if it ridiculously not safe)