Cooke Optics Teases About Second-Generation Anamorphic Zoom Lenses

I’m not sure if this was posted here or if it’s of interest to anyone, but I’ll give it a try:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/thewire/cooke-optics-teases-specifications-second-new-anamorphici-zoom-lens-nab-2016/155584

Could I ask what is the “Cooke look”? How can it be described?

• Premium Member

I can only say that it is a bit less contrasty and less crisp than the Zeiss Master Prime look, and the field of focus is slightly less flat, again compared to Zeiss Master Primes. Lately I've been using the Leica Summilux-C lenses and find them to be somewhere in between the Cooke and the Zeiss look, similar to Panavision Primos except that they are T/1.4 lenses. It's all pretty subtle stuff though, it's not like one is good and the other bad. Since I often slip in some diffusion, I tend to like the high-contrast of the Master Primes to counteract some of the haziness of the diffusion filters. One advantage to the Cookes is that they intercut better with zooms, which also tend to have a flatter contrast.

• Premium Member

I can only say that it is a bit less contrasty and less crisp than the Zeiss Master Prime look, and the field of focus is slightly less flat, again compared to Zeiss Master Primes. Lately I've been using the Leica Summilux-C lenses and find them to be somewhere in between the Cooke and the Zeiss look, similar to Panavision Primos except that they are T/1.4 lenses. It's all pretty subtle stuff though, it's not like one is good and the other bad. Since I often slip in some diffusion, I tend to like the high-contrast of the Master Primes to counteract some of the haziness of the diffusion filters. One advantage to the Cookes is that they intercut better with zooms, which also tend to have a flatter contrast.

Have you tried the Zeiss CZ.2 Compact Zooms yet David? The colour and contrast are a extremely close to the Master Primes, in fact I'd say the CZ.2s actually seem a tiny bit more contrasty than the Masters.

They're a great deal easier to match to the Zeiss primes than the Angenieuxs.