Speed booster

Carl Nenzen Loven

Hi everyone,

Now call me crazy but I was having an idea for the ACL.

If I do have and ACL to Nikon adapter I could attach a FF LENS to the ACL body. But I loose some field of view. But what if I use a Metabones speedboster on the adapter? Would it even be physically possible?

C

I have thought about this. Unfortunately there really is no incentive for Metabones to make one that'd work with an Eclair. Modifying a M43 Speedbooster wouldn't probably work, as the difference in the flange focal length is too narrow between M43 and C-mount and in addition to that, if mounting on the C-mount there isn't enough space due to the TS-mount...

Thus at the moment I use Switars (10mm and 16mm) for wide angles and for longer lenses Contax Zeiss C/Y with a C-mount adapter. It's not a perfect solution, but probably the cheapest one with relatively good IQ.

Edited by Heikki Repo

Just for the record some flange focal distances (in mm):

C-Mount 17.526

m43 Micro Four Thirds mount 19.25

Nikon F-mount 46.5

I do wonder though if it would be possible for Les Bosher to modify an Eclair ACL so that the C-mount and TS-mount would be entirely replaced with a M43 mount. Might be possible.

Edited by Heikki Repo

Just for the record some flange focal distances (in mm):

C-Mount 17.526

m43 Micro Four Thirds mount 19.25

Nikon F-mount 46.5

Sorry I meant using a Metabones adapter to the Nikon one, to then ACL. So basically 2 adapters to get the lens onto the camera?

It should work I feel because I did a similar setup for a Hasselblad lens to a Sony A7, using a hbl to canon, then canon to Sony.

C

Only mounts with longer focal distances can be adapted to mounts with shorter distances. Otherwise it won't be possible to focus to infinity.

Hasselblad flange > Canon flange > Sony

AFAIK there are no M43 to Nikon F adapters, because Nikon F flange distance > m43.

Only mounts with longer focal distances can be adapted to mounts with shorter distances. Otherwise it won't be possible to focus to infinity.

Hasselblad flange > Canon flange > Sony

AFAIK there are no M43 to Nikon F adapters, because Nikon F flange distance > m43.

Waaait a second. Wouldn't it technically be possible to just make an m43 to ACL adapter then? You got 2 more milimeters than the ACL? (according to the ACL manual, anything with a flange distance greater than 17.52 mm should be able to fit).

Theoretically yes, in practice I doubt it. M43 mount diameter is -- if I remember correctly -- larger than TS-mount so with so narrow difference in flange distance it wouldn't be possible to get the glass close enough.

Edited by Heikki Repo

Theoretically yes, in practice I doubt it. M43 mount diameter is -- if I remember correctly -- larger than TS-mount so with so narrow difference in flange distance it wouldn't be possible to get the glass close enough.

I am emailing Les now and hoping for a miracle ;)

You could also ask about replacing the default mounts with a mft mount. Is there really any mount that can't be mounted to it with adapters? Even c-mount is possible, as its diameter is so much smaller that it can be recessed.

You could also ask about replacing the default mounts with a mft mount. Is there really any mount that can't be mounted to it with adapters? Even c-mount is possible, as its diameter is so much smaller that it can be recessed.

I think the Veydra cine primes will be my best bet.

for 1200 you can get a T2.2 12 mm c-mount.

C

• 2 weeks later...

I take it Les didn't give you a green light... :(

Well, I think changing mount isn't an economical option for me right now. He is already spending time giving the camera an overhaul, so I am hoping there won't be any issues with that first. M43 will be next step to ask for, I guess.

C

What did Joel want for his MK I Zeiss superspeeds? They were Arri-B weren't they. Arri-B camera mount adapters for the ACL are quite common and cheap now. Though the eBay traffic may be inconsistent.

It wasn't too bad of a price but I haven't received my camera yet. So I feel that ship has sailed.

Besides, the Veydra set seems to do a good image for 4500 dollars.

C

• 2 weeks later...

PL is just a mount. You can use a PL adapter on an Arri-S or B lens if you have to. The optics of the lens have no mount. There are just possible solutions to what you may practically need.

Start by thinking about what you want to use the lens for. Even with low budget you may want to swap out primes and pull focus on a "narrative" project, or a project which uses the same technology. This is a pain with C mount. But, if you are working on your own or with tiny crew achieving certain kinds of technical shots, it doesn't matter. That's the opportunity with C mount.

There are other prime sets, old but good, cheapish and characterful, that you can use with 16/S16, with Arri-S mount, so you can swap out lenses fast, and maintain the rythm, momentum of a narrative shoot, or even an experimental shoot, where you are employing the same technology. So you use that mount on the camera body, as you do with an ACL, or you add PL adapters to the lenses. Did I get that you had aquired an ACL. Good choice for this lens issue (smiling face).

Cooke kinetal, Schnieder etc.....just saw a set of three Schneider going cheap on eBay.

Pulling focus on small lenses like those from the Bolex will drive you crazy. Trying to swap out C mount lenses quickly will drive you crazy. Don't do it (smiley but worried face)

PL is just a mount. You can use a PL adapter on an Arri-S or B lens if you have to. The optics of the lens have no mount. There are just possible solutions to what you may practically need.

Start by thinking about what you want to use the lens for. Even with low budget you may want to swap out primes and pull focus on a "narrative" project, or a project which uses the same technology. This is a pain with C mount. But, if you are working on your own or with tiny crew achieving certain kinds of technical shots, it doesn't matter. That's the opportunity with C mount.

There are other prime sets, old but good, cheapish and characterful, that you can use with 16/S16, with Arri-S mount, so you can swap out lenses fast, and maintain the rythm, momentum of a narrative shoot, or even an experimental shoot, where you are employing the same technology. So you use that mount on the camera body, as you do with an ACL, or you add PL adapters to the lenses. Did I get that you had aquired an ACL. Good choice for this lens issue (smiling face).

Cooke kinetal, Schnieder etc.....just saw a set of three Schneider going cheap on eBay.

Pulling focus on small lenses like those from the Bolex will drive you crazy. Trying to swap out C mount lenses quickly will drive you crazy. Don't do it (smiley but worried face)

Www.ebay.com/itm/282021114678

Would this one be a working alternative?

Or the Canon 16.5-95mm C mount?

//C

Edited by Carl Nenzen Loven

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new idea for the ACL and it is about mount DC/ Crop sensor EOS lens to it. No matter the math you make that market is very saturated and you can get a very decent lens for a few hundred dollars.

But now I am looking for a place to make a custom adapter for it. An EOS to ACL mount adapter, with aperature control.

The solution right now is EOS to C Mount to ACL, but the heavier lenses you put, the more scared I get about the mount itself.

//C