Rigging many Kino practicals and flickering them - how?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning for a music video shoot and we had an idea to rig a series of Kino lights as stage decorations and have them flicker on and off continually - such example of the setup is shown like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loNuTsyN1r8
The Solutions - Movements MV - 0:05 ~ 0:15

So my questions is - I understand the lights are rigged using Kino Flo's harnesses, but how would I make a whole bunch of them flicker individually using Kino Flo's?

I don't think there is a way to hook them up on a DMX board, so is the only way to make them really flicker is to have someone standby the ballast and rapidly turn on/off the switches?

Would that damage the bulbs if we are scheduling for 8 hour shoot day?

Thank you all for your opinions.

Kino Flo does have DMX controlled ballasts

Screen-shot-2013-04-01-at-8.31.39-AM.gif

However, looking at the fixtures I suspect that in your example they are using LED tubes. Not Kino's

Here are some options what you can do with a LED tube and some basic DMX knowlegde:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve1QibVD_Ko

Turning the switches on the ballast on and off all day will without a doubt damage them.

Edited by Jean G

• Premium Member

A little trick - if you get normal fluorescent tubes and fixtures, and dim the incoming voltage on a normal inline dimmer, they will start to flicker. It will kill the the igniters pretty fast, but it's a cheap way to achieve that look. But it's all random, you can not predict when or at what voltage they will start to flicker. Nor can you control any sort of sequence etc.

Don't do it with Kino ballast though, or you'll probably destroy them.