Revolving Camera: Is There Such a Thing as Pan Right to?

There are tons of movies that used this kind of transition and scene-sequence shaping, but I can’t think of a single one right now. What I’m referring to is this: let’s say you have a garden-party scene and a woman is talking and at one point the camera pans right (or left, all the same) and we transition to another scene, for example, of the exact thing she is describing or a character she is talking about. Then again we pan right to her, and so on. It is as if the camera is revolving around an axis.

Is there a name for this?

Can it be combined with other types of transitions and are there names for that, too?

Guy Ritchie does this in the opening little character introduction montage scene in RocknRolla (he says in the commentary that he thinks he set a record for whip pans in a row). My favorite movie, My Son, My Son What Have Ye Done, uses a couple as well (along with some overlapping audio and repetitive dialogue to make the flashbacks transition more naturally).

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Yep what you are looking for is a swipe pan or whip pan. I actually love using them to create a video that flows continuously. Up, down, left, right, it dosnt matter! You can really just use tour imagination with them. Check out one of my examples here, its got a really nice flow to it.

http://www.freshfinishmedia.com/canadian-filmmaker-washington-election/