Canon 18-80 T 4.4 cine lens at NAB

I m not so sure.. that lens doesn't really have any competition at that price.. but will it takes sales from CN7 or Cabrio .. I doubt it.. anyone who can afford those lenses will not be buying this canon lens instead,quite a few compromises to get it to that price level .. but the $18,200 new Fujinon 20-120 .. I think that could well take away a few CN7 and their own 19-90 zoom buyers away..

Yes agree.. the t4.4 would be the killer for my me too.. Im pretty sure its a fly by wire type set up too.. of course you get what you pay for and for many people it will be ideal..and amazing price.. but never be competition for the CN7.. the fuji 20-120 is probably as cheap as a "real" cinema zoom can get.. the price compromise here being 20 at the wide.. but considering their much more expensive Cabrio is 19-90.. I wonder if it might be too good a deal :).. I wouldn't want to be selling Cabrio 19-90,s at the moment..

The max aperture on Super 35 sensors is always going to be a compromise between zoom range, size & weight for hand held shooting and price. T4.4 is pretty similar to the B4 zooms adapted for use on the larger sensor for documentary work, I suspect this is the market where this lens is mostly aimed at.

Yes I think your right there.. Its not really the cheap CN7/Cabrio that is the holy grail .. but to my limited knowledge of optic,s ..there would have to be some major new technological break though to achieve at that cost.. but anyone thinking to buy a 19-90 Cabrio might have pause to consider the 20-120 T3.5.. at about half the price of a new Cab.. leaving alot of change to buy alot of other toys !

Oh right ! good I,ll have a read !

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

Well thanks for noticing :)

Short version: the stop isn't the real problem in my view, the limited long end is, but it depends what you want to do with it so analysis of the numbers is very subjective. Some people moan it isn't wide enough, etc.

My conclusion is that the compromises are fair for the price and there's probably plenty of room for something at a few thousand more, with fewer compromises. The fact that the DSLR lens people made it doesn't help. It doesn't need IS or AF. It should be a green ring round the front, not a red one.

Thanks Phil.. good review.. I wouldn't be moaning about the 18mm.. the CN7 is only 17mm.. I think that could laid at the door of the fujinon 20-120 though.. T4.4 is not great for anyone doing alot of interviews with the need for SDF .. and TBH it seems pretty much this whole blanket move to s35mm sensors for everything.. except news /sports/daytime TV is 99% based on the "cinema" look.. i.e. SDF..esp for any interviews.. and it does look nicer than the average 2/3 sensor camera I think.. I,ve loved the move from 2/3 to s35mm sensor camera work.. but just having the light sealed (or not so light sealed F5/55 !) box doesn't do it.. need the lens too..! I did the B4 adapter thing in the early days too..as i had a very pricy fujinon zoom... not great at all.. and most shoots I couldn't turn up with that set up anyway..

But yes interesting if there could be even more of a Cine dept rather than stills dept zoom for the $10,000 mark.. I think thats in the budget of alot of F5/FS7/C300 Mk1 owners.. and would really sell alot .. this canon is not quite there.. I think they have made a mistake.. a lens for $10K with direct focus.. no auto rubbish.. 18-100.. no more than T3.5.. that would sell like the Fs7 has camera wise.. who ever makes the Fs7 of s35mm zooms will clean up..

Edited by Robin R Probyn