A friendly reminder...

Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

Due to the volatile nature some threads have been taking as of late

So where was this?

I have seen quite a few posts that can best be described as "egregious" but I don't think anybody can be bothered replying anymore.

Yeah, I also don't see any of these threads that are anything that would go against the forum rules. I know Tyler and myself have had some arguments in a few threads, but we have kept it civil and to the facts. Other than that, I haven't really seen any threads I'd deem as 'bad'.

Contentious and argumentative posters can be moderated, awarded warning points, blocked, banned, etc.

Do we really need a 'net nanny on this board?

Sometime a fresh idea or new perspective can come out of a heated discussion.

• Premium Member

Clearly there had been a problem lately with threads descending to the level of personal jibes. This forum is barely moderated at all and it could stay that way if people can resist getting personal. But if certain members keep up with the unpleasant comments and poor attitude, then they are basically going to force the issue of moderation.

No-one has been called a "vacuous ball sack" lately so things are probably not that bad. What? Google that with cinematography.com and Matthew Philips in the search string.

I'm not following the threads that may be provoking some discord lately. Aside from that, there are a tiny number of self proffessed experts on the forum who do provoke a response akin to genuine nausia.

My line is that film has been dead for decades, but that hasn't stopped anyone from using it, talking about it, screening it, and so on. A bit like so called vintage cars. They are long dead but that hasn't stopped them from being driven around, particularly at car shows (and on car shows - on tv) devoted to such, but also on the public road, and they remain just as wonderful and fascinating as when they were alive. Indeed, one could say they are even more so. I treat this as a kind of ghost effect but a real one as distinct from a fake one. Will digital enjoy the same afterlife? We may not be around to see that but I assume it will - unless modernism succeeds in destroying it's own history, as it often seems bent on doing. No doubt quantum computing will be the next paradigm shift and one can imagine quantum cameras of some unimaginable sort - perhaps eventually explaining those cameras on spaceships from the 1960s, where they could get a wide-angle closeup of an enemy ship on their video (rear projected film) displays, despite their ship being miles away from the enemy one.

C

Edited by Carl Looper

Due to the volatile nature some threads have been taking as of late, I thought a quick review of these might be in order:

Forum Guidelines

Geez no point in even owning a computer and having an internet connection then.

I wonder what this forum would be like if it was all women?

R,

Posting here is a bit polarizing for me. I've been on forums that encourage verbal harassment lol. Much more important to be civil on places like this dealing with actual crafts and not the Simpsons Forums or whatever.

I'm occasionally guility of breaking the following rule in terms of a short reply such as a smiley (and phecussing a little bit every now and then), but I do try to avoid large quotes (and will edit an entire quote down to the relevant passage). I think that's quite appropriate. But I don't think that many people do actually read a thread from beginning to end, so some sort of localised quote/context is necessary. My experience is that many will just jump right into the middle of a debate without having read it's history.

Please do not create useless posts. Posts with one or two words (e.g. LOL or I agree. or Ditto.) are wasteful and are routinely removed by the administrator. Please do not quote a large portion of a previous message in your post. A threaded discussion is most often read from the start, so the reader will usually understand that you are referring to a previous message without needing to re-read it in your post.

Edited by Carl Looper

I do try to avoid large quotes (and will edit an entire quote down to the relevant passage). I think that's quite appropriate. But I don't think that many people do actually read a thread from beginning to end, so some sort of localised quote/context is necessary.

I've seen forums that've had their UI destroyed by dozens of endless quote chains.

Not exactly the same thing but while we are on the confessional kick that some people are doing here.

I've been going through a really bad patch in my life lately and I have been guilty of venting here not on people but on cinematography or films I don't like or whatever and have been a bit extreme in that.

...which might not be what everyone wants to be reading so to speak.

So I'm sorry I havn't been my usual self (which yeah might also not be your thing but there's not much I can do about that!)

I'm presently trying to find a more positive way of distracting myself.

So yeah sorry 'bout that!

Freya

• Premium Member

I, on the other hand, am currently in the land of sunny, seventy-two, which always puts me in a good mood.

Happy, happy, happy! Joy, joy, joy!

Sadly, I have to return to the grim and dismal land of not-so-sunny on Saturday, in order to do that dismal making-a-living things, which will put me back in a more appropriate mood and lead to a return to normal standards of service.

Grr.

P