Sign in to follow this  
Philipp Kunzli

Filter to generate a "uncoated-leans-look"?

Hey Everybody

I'm in preproduction for a glossy beauty commercial. Unfortunately, the lenses we have to shoot on, are a set of Zeiss Distagon T 2.1. I know it's the definitely not the right choice but's what we got.

The camera we shot on is an Epic Dragon.

The result should be is a "classic" soft beauty look with a lot of flares, gentle blacks and a lot of soft backlight.

Normally I'd order a set of of old uncoated lenses but as written, it's not possible and the Distagon are quite "dry"...

My thoughts go towards stacking a Glimmerglas with a Black Promist together...

But may be you guys have any oder and better idea.

THX for your support.

Philipp

I don't think uncoated lenses are as misty as a GlimmerGlass or ProMist but you should use those if that's the look you want.

If you just want a hazier, milkier look but less misty halation around lamps, you might try an UltraCon, or Smoque filter.

I don't think Standard Speeds are necessarily the wrong lenses for the job. They do flare fairly easily, and have a pleasing softness when wide open. You could add some subtle diffusion like a Soft FX to the lens, and then lift your black levels a little in post. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Other filter options might be Tiffen Pearlescent, Low Con, or Bronze Glimmerglass. Or nets. Or you could try OLPFs with diffusion built-in like the Kippertie Carbon.

Other filter options might be Tiffen Pearlescent, Low Con, or Bronze Glimmerglass. Or nets. Or you could try OLPFs with diffusion built-in like the Kippertie Carbon.

Hey Satsuki

Thanks for your replay. What's a OLPF with the Kippertie Carbon? Never heard of it?