Angenieux 25-250mm thoughts?

Needed to get any opinions at all on this vintage zoom lens, been shopping around. To anyone who's even used it just once, how does it handle and how did you like the image it produced? Thank you.

pic for context:

nEO_IMG_DSC_9507.jpg?psid=1

It's a so-called Paris Zoom, like the 12-120 i just bought. Build quality is superb, and the gears are fluid and smooth, with decent resistance. Image wise, I can't really say yet, as I have only shot a few minutes with mine, but from looking at it in Resolve, it looks very very promising. There are no signs of chromatic aberation or distortion. Faces are very sharp and clean.

Keep in mind, I believe they are both made for 16mm film sensors.

• Premium Member

It's got a nice vintage look. I worked for a DP once who liked to use one with his Alexa shooting run-and-gun style commercials. Sort of a unique lens in that there really aren't any other zooms with that focal length range in that small size. It's rather slow, as I recall. T4-ish? The later improvements (HP, HR) on the lens made them significantly bigger and heavier.

The downsides are the mechanics and the Academy 35 coverage. The front rotates and telescopes and the marks are not great. So it's really a documentary run-and-gun style lens, not really a cinema lens.

• Upvote 1

The downsides are the mechanics and the Academy 35 coverage. The front rotates and telescopes and the marks are not great. So it's really a documentary run-and-gun style lens, not really a cinema lens.

Thanks for the heads up

• Premium Member

I used a PL mount Angineux 25-250 f/3.9 on a short with a Red One MX (may have been a slightly different model lens than the one pictured). Ran in to issues with the minimum focus distance which was about 6'. Made it hard to get close to the actors and shoot in small locations without diopters. On the wide end had some color aberrations and noticeable vignette-ing; but I think that particular lens needed serviced.