Advice For A Camera Assistant

Bradley Shaw

Hi

In a few weeks I am starting my first on set, television Drama work experience as a camera assistant on DCI Bank at ITV Yorkshire. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on what to do and how to prepare well for this experience as I am wanting to gain more work after this!

Depends exactly what your expected to do as a camera assistant for work experience .. but from my memory way back ! .. you have to be very organized basically .. know where everything is.. try to think ahead for the next set up.. get stuff ready so its right there at hand .. if its cold get the camera dept some tea or coffee.. raid catering and have some snacks to hand out.. you,ll be loved for that.. have a thick skin ... someone might bark at you under stress.. don't take it personally ..they,ll apologies later..

Sort like a butler for the camera gear/camera crew.. :).. have fun ..

• Premium Member

Will you be a 2nd AC working under a 1st AC? Or more of a camera utility?

If the former, I would ring up the 1st AC and see if you can attend their camera prep for the job, introduce yourself, familiarize yourself with the package. Try and get on the same wavelength and adapt to their working style. Most of your future jobs will come from this person and their recommendations to other 1st ACs.

Given that they seem to have "a" and "b" cameras and the jobs that the canera assistants are doing, be ready for anything. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1652216/fullcredits?ref_=ttspec_ql_1

I assume you're a not a camera trainee as such, but more getting work experience as part of a media course course.

Be ready and willing to carry lots of camera cases,