RGB chroma led lights

Ed David

• Premium Member

HI guys

I'm looking at litegear rgb chroma light as a way to quickly make colored party gel looks for shoots.

wondering if there is another LED film lighting manufacturer that also does this?

Just seeing what the options are

thanks

ed

I have shot some concerts with RGB LEDs and I absolutely hate them. If it's clean RGB then only one of the color channel is filled with information, so you lose about 66% of the info you'd usually get and it ends up looking very un-detailed and "cheap", in my opinion. I'd rather go with a normal, gelled light source that doesn't output just one RGB channel.

• 4 weeks later...

Because the LEDs that are used for RGB LEDs emit a very narrow spectrum of light, you miss out on a whole load of colour information that still gets transmitted when using gel on traditional sources. As a result they tend translate less than ideally on camera, especially when you start to move away from super saturated colours.

• Premium Member

This is certainly true - the saturated colours can visibly clip the gamut of many cameras and the pastels are - well - meh. Someone needs to do an RGB plus white version, which is a lot more flexible.

P

Ed,

Check out the Arri LC series. There are also smaller brands, like BriteShot. BriteShot is based in NY, so that may be a viable option for you. Both are RGB+W products.

Stuart

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com