Matt Golding

How did they light this?

Looks like Haze, or possibly a mist filter. I have no idea on lighting, though it looks like soft lights, probably either CFL with gel or Tungsten to get that warm color.

There is definitely haze being used. A period movie like that would most likely use tungsten units and certainly tungsten bulbs in the hanging practicals, though it is not unheard of to use Kinos and LED fixtures, but CFL's are pretty unlikely in this scenario, there is no reason to put up with their green cast issues and they are hard to gel, though stranger things have been done...

• Upvote 1

peaky_lighting.jpg

I think the top light is actually just coming from the overhead hanging lamps in the shot -- the main light seems to be a semi-hard side/back light with a secondary one crossing it somewhat (look at the shadows on the floor) -- those lights are mounted above the wall with the barrels on the right.

• Upvote 1

peaky_lighting.jpg

I think the top light is actually just coming from the overhead hanging lamps in the shot -- the main light seems to be a semi-hard side/back light with a secondary one crossing it somewhat (look at the shadows on the floor) -- those lights are mounted above the wall with the barrels on the right.

I see what you mean, I did imagine that the key light was coming from the back right as a 3/4 light. I had just missed out on spotting the shadows on the floor as they're so faint, so thanks for pointing that out! I do feel as though there may be a stronger source overhead to light the subjects in the far left hand side, however, I may be wrong. Thanks for your help! It's much appreciated.