Motion Control without "Control"

Hey Everybody

I'm in preproduction for a commercial, on which I'm looking for some ideas and thoughts for our VFX pack shot.

First we shoot a classic product Pack-shot" on location. Afterwords we recreate the whole thing in a Studio but 23 times bigger.

The product is a 11cmx11cmx11cm CUBE.

Lens 50mm

Distance to the corner 50cm

Viewpoint above Cube 5cm (PoV total hight 16cm)

Angle towards Cube 15 degrees

Travelling distance is 15 cm

Duration 6 Seconds

The recreation is 2.5m x 2.5m x 2.5m

Lens 50mm

Distance to the corner 11,5m

Viewpoint above Cube 1.25cm (PoV total hight 3,75m)

Angle towards Cube 15 degrees

Travelling distance is 3,45m

Duration 6 Seconds

The budget is tight and so there is no "Motion Control" which should be the tool to use. Our idea is to recreate the shot by geometrical proportions. But there are definitely some challenges...

Time

Problem: Hitting the 6 Second mark on the spot...

Idea: Over cranking with 100fps. Afterwards correcting the offset with time remapping in the post.

What do you guys think about that?

Depth of Field (Epic 4K 16:9)

Problem: 50mm on 0.5m distance. On a f8, the depth of field is only 2cm.

50mm on 11.5m distance. On a f2, the depth of field is still 3.47 m

Unfortunately, the product Cube is like it is and the recreation Cube has to be that big...

I'm looking forward for your answers...

Thanks a lot Philipp

Edited by Philipp Kunzli

Trying to do motion control without a motion control rig probably won't work. The only time it might work is if the camera moves very little, and you're willing to accept some jitter and play with the footage, unless of course you're superman and can nail the same camera moves each time, in exactly the same motion path, down to the mm.

Have you though about renting a motion rig for one day? You don't necessarily need a full track and dolly system since the product sounds like it's pretty small. They make something even like motorized sliders that can reproduce some limited side to side movement. Camera pan and tilt will of course require a pan/tilt head with motion control.

As for any other method to achieve the look you need, maybe someone else can add more than I can.

See: CamBlock system http://www.radiantimages.com/cranes-dolly/783-camblock-motion-control-system

Edited by Landon D. Parks