Elastic strap/vest for operating Canon C-series?

Hi,

First time posting here, amazing what a great resource this site is even in "read-only" mode, great thanks to all for advice and help past, present and future...

I'm a DIT usually but I have an opportunity to do more operating/DP work in the future with Canon C-series cameras. I've heard tell of, but have never seen, a handheld scheme for these consisting of a sturdy elastic strap worn bandolier-style, perhaps in conjunction with a vest, that essentially allows you to "bungee" the camera to yourself for chest-level handheld operation by cradling. Obviously with a very stripped-down rig. Is this a "thing" or just an urban camera dept. myth? I don't feel these cameras go well on the shoulder and this type of arrangement is appealing (I'm about 6'4", so shoulder-mount rigs on me are usually from a slightly unnaturally high POV).

Thanks for any info. and for such a great resource...

Thanks Robin, but no, I've operated with the EasyRig before and found it a bit awkward (but only once and without enough time to dial in the fit properly). Plus it's a bit bulky/indiscreet as well for run-n-gun. I've heard of this (elastic strap thing) being done with a stripped down Red Epic as well.

Not sure, was kind of under the impression that it didn't, and just attached to the back of the camera at about sternum height, maybe with a cinesaddle or small "buddha bag" underneath for support. Ha, maybe I dreamed this?

• Premium Member

Was it something like those Blackrapid straps that still photographers use? If I have to do this for long periods of time, I go with either the Buddha bag method or a monopod. If you use a Cinesaddle, replace the styrofoam beads with small bits of foam so it doesn't make as much noise.

I personally hate the Easyrig and never got the hang of it, but some operators are really talented with it and know how to use it just right.

Satsuma -- thanks, I think we're on the same page about the Easyrig, it didn't feel quite right to me either. I also had the Varicam35 on so a bigger payload that was a handful. Thanks for the tips on modding the Cinesaddle, will give it a go next time I have one to use.

I think the strap I'm thinking of may have started life as a rifle sling of some kind, there are ones that have some "give" to them, probably neoprene or another thermoplastic material. But I have no idea how it attached to the camera (perhaps through a rapid-style speed ring or something like that as you suggest).

Certainly sounds like a DIY solution and not an actual product. Oh well, thanks all for your thoughts on this. If I cobble something together for my next shoot I'll share some pics.