I see you finished the project requiring glass shattering, however I've found

something interesting on a B-Roll from "The Counselor":

"The Counselor" - B-Roll - Car glass shattering - 1m25sec

(The link is at the specific time)

It seems there is no glass, but the move of the bat hitting it seems pretty real, like stopping/bouncing off.

And then the FX guy blows off something resembling glass particles.

+ one more trick in the FX bag. :)

I imagine that is for a shot where they don't see the actual window breaking. Perhaps they already did that prior to the shot you see them doing. The prop guy is probably just blowing fake movie glass, which is actually clear rubber, via a blast of compressed air.

Just released the music video today - thanks for everyone's recommendations and advice on creating a breakaway window. We went with the sugar glass, but as you can see in the vid-it's only on for a split second and we added a layer of glass in post to give it some more shattered pieces. You can check out the video here: https://youtu.be/-_T1sYaeMP8. Thanks again and hope you enjoy!

Hey I thought you cut the window too quickly, like I did not see it actually break. And the angle of your actors arms wasn't square to the window. Its really hard to break auto glass with a fist. But I was thinking about your post when I saw this trailer for Jack Reacher. They did it really well and I think they did it for real. The window seems to break where Tom Cruises fist hits the glass and the stress lines originate from that point. But I guess they could have do it with a really good VFX team too.

Its around 1:30

• 6 years later...
On 5/5/2016 at 6:57 PM, Bruce Greene said:

Thinking of the safety of the actor in the car... Seems a little bit dangerous to have even candy glass flying into someone's eyes.

A few years ago, we did this by rolling down the window and creating the glass break as a digital fx shot. It worked really well, and cost very very little with no danger to someone inside the car. I think the director/editor did this himself with some cheapo digital fx software :)

I'd like to see this shot. Where could we view it?