Touching up scratched black paint inside camera. What to use?

I have several cameras that I will be filming with soon. All are from the 1920s and have minor scratching off of the black matte paint. Inside the film chamber and in sight of the lens.

What is the best product to use to "black out" these shiney blemishes??

I am looking for something I can brush on. No spray paint.13173248_10154770868952388_3783825834626

Edited by Darren Nemeth

• Premium Member

I sometimes use paint pens like the ones JD mentions, but they tend not to be very matte so I don't use them where a reflection might cause problems. Likewise sharpies have a purplish sheen, and they can wipe off metal surfaces easily as mentioned.

For camera interiors and sometimes lens baffles I use the mattest enamel paint I can find, the brand depends on where you are in the world. Chalkboard paint can be OK, or pot belly black. Mixing calcium carbonate powder in can make paint more chalky and matte, also adding fine sand gives a texture that helps disperse light reflections. Telescope shops sometimes sell ultra matte black touch-up paint for telescope interiors.

For a really non-reflective surface needed on things like long lens barrel interiors I use sticky-backed felt.