Canon Cine Zoom 512 Needs Repair

I just purchased a Canon Cine Zoom model 512 8mm camera off ebay and the spring driven mechanism makes a clunk sound and locks up.

Is this camera worth fixing?

Who would you recommend if it is worth it.

Thanks

• Premium Member

They were top of the range Standard 8 cameras back in the day (1964), but I doubt it's worth paying someone to fix one nowadays, if indeed there exists anyone who could. I've pulled one apart for fun, they are a little complicated. I would keep an eye out for another one, I bought the one I own for under $50.

Canon unfortunately released this jewel of a camera just as Super 8 was launched, so it became sort of instantly obsolete even though the technology utilised in the optics and spring drive was cutting edge. They got so burned they lowered their standards for movie cameras for a while. It was over 10 years before Canon released another movie camera with an f1.2 zoom.

• Premium Member

£1000 in today's money. Wow.

If you're referring to the $50, that's what I paid on eBay about 4 years ago, not the original price. I wasn't actually alive in 1964! But it probably did cost a pretty penny back then.

Thanks for the replies. I think this one will go back to the ebay seller. I paid $55 for it and it will cost me $20 to return it. Lesson learned.

I purchased 6 vintage cameras off ebay the last couple months and all had issues. Most were junk. Sold AS IS. I'm glad Paypal protects buyers.

Edited by Dale Hammond

If you're referring to the $50, that's what I paid on eBay about 4 years ago, not the original price. I wasn't actually alive in 1964! But it probably did cost a pretty penny back then.

An outstandingly beautiful penny- I meant the original price from Canon's archive. 69000 yen in 1964.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I'm not buying any more cameras off ebay. Just too many are defective or absolute junk. I'll watch the various garage sales and Flea Markets this summer. In previous years I saw a lot of vintage cameras for cheap. At $1 to $10 a camera, one can afford some mistakes.