Modifying My Beaulieu For Max 8 DIY

Justin Roose

Hello all, this is my first post upon joining these forums.

So basically I'm a bit of a DIY tinkerer whose interests in video film have skyrocketed (after buying and selling a couple I've settle on a Beaulieu 4008 TM II Super 8 and a Krasnogorsk K3 Super 16mm. However, I've recognized a new format for Super 8 called Max 8 (basically widescreen variant of Super * which is normally 1.33 near square format) and the beaulieu is a great camera for this, despite some modification must be done. I am aware that the company Pro8mm does conversions like that, but looking at the price tag I think to myself "well what can they do that I can't?" And from what I've collected the whole process goes as such more or less: removal of the 85 filter system (which I have done myself), widening of the film gate, adding template marks to the viewfinder to mark the resolution, and to recenter the lens and viewfinder to the new window. My Krasnogorsk is almost a template of what to do give or take, with most of the modifications occurring with the widened gate and re centered lens ring and viewfinder. What do you guys think; any advice?

In terms of DIY, you don't need to do any re-centering. You can widen the gate and then remove the lens mount and widen the square in the center to match what you did to the gate. The lens mount has a piece of plastic that you have to remove before you can get it off, it's a pain in the ass. I have no idea what you'd need to do for the viewfinder. It'd be a good idea to buy a cheap parts camera and practice on that before you do anything to your main camera.

Ultimately you have to figure out how valuable the camera is to you. Du-All in NYC may be able to do a Max-8 modification for a better price then pro8mm. I've gone to them for a camera CLA before and they're prices are very reasonable. What Pro8mm will do for $1,300, they may only ask $200-300 for the modification and then $300 for the CLA if you want it. But definitely check ahead to see if it's actually something they do.

It isn't as if half an inch will be added :)

Widening the gate itself is the first thing. Unmount the gate, file out the need body on the left side or take away the full side and leave the film unsupported on one side. Be sure not to loose the springs et cetera. Don't drop them in the camera either.

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19057

Super 8 frame size
width: 5.68 mm
height: 4.23 mm
total: 24.02 mm sq

Super-dooper 8 frame size
width: 6.41 mm
height: 4.23 mm
total: 27.11 mm sq
(based on extra 13% width - quoted here )

Do a test to see how the lens lights the frame corners.

Second you could adjust the viewfinder tube inside. This would be rather simple.

No chisseling or such.

Adding extra lines in the viewfinder would be de-luxe but do-able

On recentering the lens I would like to call the bluff. I assume it isn't actually done.

You could see if you could adjust the gate-plate sideways for half the added width :)

There is play in the Super-8 cartridges.

Here some samples:

http://framediscreet.blogspot.nl/search/label/super%20duper%208%20samples

Found a pdf article on Pro8mm's beaulieu max 8 cameras that provides a photo of the widened film gate. Seems the bottom area perpendicular to the vertical edges of the opening is cut out. link here: http://www.pro8mm.com/pdf/return_of_legend_beaulieu.pdf

Is the website of pro8mm working properly? I have tried to access the site and this file from three computers and from two UNIX hosts using a alphanumeric browser and none of these give a single byte on display. And neither the PDF of course.

Or is there limited circulation on their info?

It isn't as if half an inch will be added :)

On recentering the lens I would like to call the bluff. I assume it isn't actually done.

BTW I forgot to mention that should the lens actually have been recentered it, of course, would not be necessary to recenter the viewfinder :)