Pro8mm looking into new super-8 color reversal

This is sample footage from my test run of Pro8mm Provia back in 2014. (yes, it's been an ongoing mission of Phils for that long). I was lucky enough to get to shoot 3 rolls of this amazing film. It became my favorite reversal film of all time... Well... After Kodachrome of course.

Edited by David Cunningham

A feature can be done, but it's a lot more expensive now than it used to be. We scanned and restored a Super 8 zombie film last year. It was shot in the 1980s, but they went back and did a 2k scan and restoration. It looks really good considering it's Super 8. Of course, it's not a practical format for long form work, nor is it cost-effective. Better off shooting 16, or if you can get your hands on a camera, 2-perf 35mm.

-perry

• Site Sponsor

We have run a few S8mm feature projects, they are a certain niche. The most recent film was M Van Michaels "Hot Lead, Hard Fury" lots of shag rug and hot cars in that one ;-) it looks pretty great.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wish Fuji would slit and package some Provia and/or Velvia reversal stock.

Since pulling out of 16mm cine, they have machines sitting idle ( ....or more likely decommissioned ).

Wittnerchrome 200D is average at best compared to E100D.

John S :(

• 2 months later...

From what I gather, it seems to be selling fairly well/ I actually bought a roll when I was in LA last month. I shot some stuff in San Diego with it, but the camera I was using got stolen with the roll of Provia in it. I was not happy.

Fortunately, Pro8mm is willing to transfer two rolls I purchase from them in the future in order to fufill my original order. I will definitely be getting another roll of Provia. I might save it for the fall or sometime in December. I'm hopefully heading back out to LA for the "Rogue One" opening; what better time to be shooting film?

• 1 month later...