XL2--NTSC or PAL?

Jason M Silverman

I'm looking to buy an XL2 shortly. I'm living in Ireland, but will most likely buy it in the states, since they are much cheaper, and the Euro is stronger. B&H is the only american retailer I've found willing to sell the PAL version and it costs more than the NTSC. I think I want the PAL for two reasons: 1) Ireland uses PAL 2) the 25 rate should be better for transfering footage to film. Do you all think it is worth the extra cost?

Also, I was wondering if I move back to the USA, will having a PAL camera cause me problems?

Peace

Jason M Silverman

I would recommend PAL over NTSC as it will give you a slight increase in resolution as well as better color subsampling (4:2:0 vs. 4:1:1).

Because the NTSC XL2 is capable of shooting 24P, a transfer to film from either region camera should be equally simple.

>>Also, I was wondering if I move back to the USA, will having a PAL camera

>>cause me problems?

Only in the fact that you'll need a converter box to view your footage on television; 60Hz sources (fluorescents, TV screens, etc.) may flicker slightly if using PAL standard shutter speeds, like 1/50th, 1/100th, and so forth.

Additionally, an NTSC to PAL conversion will never look as good as PAL to NTSC. Hope this helps...