Dear Cinematographers,

Is there any way to get a magnetic film transfer of recording tape for unadulterated analog editing? I am markedly influenced by analog processes in art; all this digital nonsense has never sat well with me - it is all as cold as a witch's - - however that goes. Another, more general question, I suppose, is whether or not it is even possible for one to create a purely analog picture any longer.

Sincerely Grateful,

Kurt Cassidy-Gabhart

• Premium Member

Hi Kurt. As Rob mentioned you would record the sound on a (1/4" tape) Nagra reel-to-reel recorder and then the lab would transfer it to a magtrack, equivalent to the size of the film gauge you are shooting on.

Check ebay...

Nagra 4.2

• Premium Member

Come here to Basel, we have a sound transfer facility with 35/17.5 and 16 mm magnetic film runners, MWA, mixing console, Steenbeck editors, and trained people. By the way, sound recording has also been done on magnetic film. Tape offers better sound quality.

But have you spent a thought on photographic sound recording? Speaking analogue . . .

• Premium Member

Here in the states, you can score an auricon optical 16mm sound recording camera for peanuts. I've personally always wanted to use one, I can't imagine how cool it would be to cut picture and sound at the same time! :)

It's possible. The question is can you get it done without sending your material halfway across the country.

Of course if Rob still has his dubbers you're halfway . The other half is a Steenbeck or pic-sync.

Dear Cinematographers,

Thank you all for the educational replies; you have saved me from a lot stress! Who could provide such services, Mr. Houllahan? Which laboratory, Mr. DiPietra? Mr. Wyss - if only I had access to your facility! That would be a dream - you are very fortunate! As for that, Mr. Dunn - I am quite used to it; I do not mind the size of the wall, but rather whether or not I can climb over it.

Sincerely Grateful,

Kurt Cassidy-Gabhart

Edited by Kurt Cassidy-Gabhart

• Site Sponsor

We have 16mm - 35mm Mag dubbers and a Ampex 1/4" with pilottone at Cinelab, have not used them for recording in a while, just Sep Mag and Archival work.

There is also a shop in Toronto that does Mag and Optical sound creation, I will fins the contact info.