Between bedsheets and muslin?

Hi, Can anyone recommend a material halfway between bedsheets and calico for bouncing?

I feel bedsheets are a little blue, possibly due to the cotton being bleached? and calico/muslin/unbleached, is a little too warm, and loses a touch too much light.

Something cheap, lightweight, readily available, opaque.

Some kinda cheap ultra bounce material?

Thanks

Jonathan,

I just went to the local fabric store and bought bleached muslin. It's cheap and commonly available.

You can buy Ultrabounce fabric and it's very inexpensive. When manufacturers sew and grommet the sheet it suddenly becomes expensive.

Stuart

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

I just went to the local fabric store and bought bleached muslin. It's cheap and commonly available.

You can buy Ultrabounce fabric and it's very inexpensive. When manufacturers sew and grommet the sheet it suddenly becomes expensive.

Yeah thanks, I'll head to my shop and have a look around.

I looked into it a bit and believe 'Ripstop" is pretty similar to gridcloth?

Do you know the "non film industry" name for ultrabounce?

Hi, Can anyone recommend a material halfway between bedsheets and calico for bouncing?

I feel bedsheets are a little blue, possibly due to the cotton being bleached? and calico/muslin/unbleached, is a little too warm, and loses a touch too much light.

Something cheap, lightweight, readily available, opaque.

Some kinda cheap ultra bounce material?

Thanks

'bedsheets' come in all manner of 'white/offwhite', and one usually can find the warmer tones.

Since you list the UK as your location... I don't know what is available at hardware or 'home building' supplies, but here in the US there is a popular dropcloth for painting that is a 'warm' white canvas available at such chain stores as Home Depot or Lowes. I'm sure the UK has some similar type of store... quick check seems to indicate Homebase is such a chain store... In the US there was a Homebase chain, perhaps unrelated, which went bankrupt years ago...

I looked into it a bit and believe 'Ripstop" is pretty similar to gridcloth?

Ripstop just refers to the weave of the fabric, and the reinforcing technique used. The most common type that's used in tents and outdoor equipment tends to be made of nylon, and would probably melt if used in front of a hot lamp. I don't know exactly what material is used in Gridcloth, but it's evidently heat resistant.

I'm not sure there is a non-industry name for Ultrabounce. I've never seen it outside film supply places. Just do a Google search for "Ultrabounce fabric" and you'll find it online. It should be $12-14/yard in 60" wide. The trick might be finding it in the U.K. It's easily obtainable from L.A.

At some of the film supply places online you might be able to find grid cloth too.

Stuart

I gather from this: https://normsstudio.equipment/rag-materials-explained/ , that gridcloth is actually sailcloth, probably in different weights. This is confirmed by the information on the Rose Brand website. http://www.rosebrand.com/subcategory177/fabric-by-use-diffusion.aspx

Seems like Ultrabounce and Superbounce are trademarked names, but for a variation of what off the shelf product?

Rosco does ultrabounce by the roll, Called Cinebounce.

It takes a bit of trial and error, but you could try tea staining white sheets to warm them up. Soak the white sheets in a brew of tea, and line dry them.