RED One MX fan that bad?

Max Field

Not sure if anyone has a recorded sample of this, but I've read people going back and forth saying the RED fan is either "awful" or "not that bad". Around what time in shooting does the fan kick into high gear? And how loud can it really be?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

I know the more recent ones can sound like an absolute hairdryer between takes, to the point where sound can't really tell whether it's quiet enough to roll until you already have. To me, this always demonstrated a complete misunderstanding from the company about how a piece of filmmaking equipment should behave, but as ever, I'm outvoted...

P

To me, this always demonstrated a complete misunderstanding from the company about how a piece of filmmaking equipment should behave, but as ever, I'm outvoted...

Well no I completely agree that a digital camera should be as silent as possible, but an image like RED for the low end of 4 digits has my hands tied. Not sure if there's anything of the same price matching that image/resolution/framerate. If I had to pay retail, I'd look completely elsewhere if the camera I was dropping 10k on made noise.

• Premium Member

one problem with the Red One is that it blows hot air right to operator's face when shooting hand held, very annoying.

you can set the fan to slow down during takes if the ambient/camera temperature is not too high, it's in the menus.

the camera generates lots of heat so it is necessary to cool it whenever possible, thus you can't keep it quiet all the time

• Premium Member

It's pretty loud! I recently did a shoot with a RED Epic and S16mm right next to each other and the S16 camera you couldn't hear, but the EPIC fan was prominent in the very quiet room. The RED One's are much louder, but both cameras get quieter when you start recording, it's just when they're on standby things get louder.

So what is loud? Well, maybe 35db from 1 foot away? So not really "LOUD". Quieter then a MOS 35mm camera, but not nearly as quiet as a digital camera SHOULD be.

• Premium Member

Yea, heavily modified LTR. It makes no noise, literally from 1 foot away, you can't hear it.

SR3's are a lot quieter, but they still make more noise then the LTR. I use to be an Arri guy, but I'm an Aaton convert, I just love my LTR. I'll be picking up a few XTR Prod's for my school soon as well. :)