Movies you like that the consensus hates?

Max Field

Fun thread where the title says it all. I personally dislike the term "guilty pleasure" because it implies shame over enjoying a piece of media.

Preferably titles that aren't way underground.

Love to hear you guys' picks.

• Premium Member

I like every Star Trek movie, even the ones that people consider bad.

"Lucky Lady" (mainly for Unsworth's photography, but I also like the cast in it.)

"A Bridge Too Far" (same reasons as above.)

"Flash Gordon"

"1941"

• Premium Member

I too really enjoy '1941' it's such a campy bunch of whoop-ass, it's just great! I'm also a fan of star trek, so I enjoy those movies, pre-reboot.

Honestly, I have a lot of "eclectic" taste in entertainment, so my list is too long for posting.

• Premium Member

I'm really not sure what the general consensus is on these, but they are definitely more like B-grade movies or/cult classics:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

The Thing (1982)

Day of the Dead (1985)

Pumpkinhead (1988)

King of New York (1990)

I think Phil had the closest thing to what I was talking about.

Movies I had in my head for this are titles like:

Josie And The Pussycats (great satire on both mainstream marketing and counter-culture)

Not Another Teen Movie (one of the only funny parody movies)

Freddy Got Fingered (experimental comedy that remains a cult cult classic among comedy writers)

• Premium Member

I think Phil had the closest thing to what I was talking about.

Movies I had in my head for this are titles like:

Josie And The Pussycats (great satire on both mainstream marketing and counter-culture)

Not Another Teen Movie (one of the only funny parody movies)

Freddy Got Fingered (experimental comedy that remains a cult cult classic among comedy writers)

You have over a century of films to choose from and you pick three from 2001?...

You have over a century of films to choose from and you pick three from 2001?...

Hey man, if the consensus hates; they hate. And 2001 was a nice year for movies, that was just off the top of my head.

• Premium Member

1941!

if Bob Gale and John Milius had been rained in, and forced to cut out some of the filler, 1941 was so very very close to being the greatest thing ever

Agreed! It was so close to being fantastic! I would have lost the dance scene/air plane crash and a few other things, but a 95 minute cut of that movie would have absolutely played better.

The Reflecting Skin is a really great cult film that was totally ignored when it came out. Audiences were completely confused on how to take it and since nobody could market the film due to its really odd qualities, it died a quick death.

But due to internet audience demand, it's just been released on Bluray in the U.K. Fully restored with new color correction and lots of extras with Philip Ridley. It looks amazing now. A great film in general but worth it just to see Dick Popes cinematography on it which is incredible.

• Premium Member

Oh, I had to mention this.

Shoot that for the BBC and they'll go "But it's all orange!"

But in all seriousness, that is how we open motion pictures. Stirring music, thundering rotor blades, billowing gas turbine exhaust, and all in all a fantastic memorial to the late, great Tony Imi, BSC.

(Shame about the rest of the film, but there you go)

P

mMMM Event Horizon, saw it in a large art deco cinema in Liverpool - perfect projection and practically private screening - one of my favourite cine experiences.

I thought body snatcher movies were considered great by most - i love the 78 version.

Odd (and sometimes dismissed) films i like-

Runaway (1984) - Robot spiders!!!

Speed Racer - got a lot of hate, shame was a lot of silly fun, visually insane - 9 out of ten for the commitment to deep focus, better then the Matrix

Cloud Atlas - Hugo Weaving in drag..... that is all.

The Iron Giant - one of the best animated feature films ever made and seen by no-one

The Straight Story - many Lynch fans don't find it Lynchy enough

Critters 1 and 2

Robocop 2. Sure Robocop 1 is a near masterpiece, but Robocop 2 has a lot to offer

Marley and Me (really)

John dies at the end

Maximum Overdrive

Young Einstein - One of the reasons I wanted to work in film...e.g if these guys could do it anyone could

Labyrinth - the other reason I wanted to work in film, was obsessed with puppets and set design. (probably watched the making of more then the movie)

Screamers (1995) - decent [K Dick) based actioner

Monkey Bone - doesn't quite work - but some mad ideas and great stop motion

Drop Dead Fred

Moonraker - I know its not fashionable to prefer Roger Moore as Bond, but to me Bond is at its best when its at maximum camp, in space, with Jaws.

The Castle - not underrated by those that have seen it, but not got the exposure it deserves

• Premium Member

I agree about "Moonraker" -- as a teenager watching that, I loved Derek Medding's miniature work. It was probably the first Bond film I saw in first-run, I had missed "The Spy Who Loved Me" for some reason and was too young to have seen the others in first-run. So I have a soft spot for that movie.

Growing up in the 1970's, I saw a lot of movies that I still re-watch today, partly for nostalgia but also because some aspect, usually of the design or lighting, still interests me. "Logan's Run" for example, or "Space: 1999".

There are also some 1980's movies that I re-watch now and then for various reasons, like "Fat Man and Little Boy" (Zsigmond's photography and the Manhattan Project storyline), or early Tony Scott movies like "Beverly Hills Cop II", just for that 80's music video / commercial look.

I also like Ridley Scott's "1492", which I think is underrated.

And I've watched the long version of Tony Palmer's "Wagner" many times, both for Richard Burton's performance and Storaro's lighting.